Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, first time dog owners here. We have a lovely 10 week old beagle. We took some time off when we got him and he’s coming along nicely I think. We’ve taught him sit, stay, shake, and he is getting there with lie down. We’re crate training him and he’s happy to play and sleep in there for longer and longer periods and lets us know when he needs to go out. Hes got plenty of toys and puzzles which he likes. He’s now sleeping well through the night, wakes once and lets us know he needs to pee then straight back to sleep. When we’re in with him we take him out every few hours and, apart from a couple of accidents when we were getting to know his signals, he’s been pretty good so far. He can now last up to 3 or 4 hours when he’s dozing.

Eventually he’ll need to be alone at home for 1 half day, and 1 whole day each week (with my partner coming home at lunch to feed/walk him). He can’t go for walks for another week due to vaccinations. At the moment we’re staying home most the time to help with his training, but giving him time alone to get used to it (eg going to the shop for an hour or two) and it’s been fine. However we tried for the first time last week to leave him for 1 afternoon as we both had to be in work, and it didn’t go very well. We had his crate inside a pen with some pads down. Poor thing somehow closed his crate door behind him, which had all his toys in. So he got bored, ate half his puppy pad, pooped on the floor and then, because he was obviously stressed, dragged the pen over the poop smearing it everywhere! His ability to move the pen means we’ve moved approach from crate-in-pen to crate-in-puppy-proofed-kitchen. He can’t be trusted with puppy pads so we have a not-very-chewable-crate mattress that he peed on early on (and now likes to pee on if we use it!) we were thinking of using instead of puppy pads whilst he can’t quite hold it for the 3-4 hours and just washing daily. I’ve got kong and other puzzle food toys for him to play with. Is there anything else anyone would recommend for our next trial afternoon?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am not fan a puppy pads or any other haha they should learn that toilet is outside otherwise you're pretty much lining them up for failure later.
Beagles will chew and eat anything I'm on my second beagle so I know... they are also escape artists.

Beagles are also extremely vocal so unless he is happy being alone he will howl and the whole street will know about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not fan a puppy pads or any other haha they should learn that toilet is outside otherwise you're pretty much lining them up for failure later.
Beagles will chew and eat anything I'm on my second beagle so I know... they are also escape artists.

Beagles are also extremely vocal so unless he is happy being alone he will howl and the whole street will know about it.
Tbh I’m not a big fan of puppy pads either, we’re trying to avoid them. So far we haven’t had to use them as we’ve been home and take him out regularly and he’s getting good at letting us know when he needs to go. Problem is we need to leave him for 4 hours and I know he won’t last that long.

yes! he’s definitely an escape artist, hence giving up on the pen and just using a puppy proofed kitchen.

He is pretty vocal, but he’s actually not been too bad when he’s alone. We’ve been letting him have some alone time of increasing frequency and sometimes he’ll howl a bit for 2-3 minutes but then he’s pretty happy playing or napping quietly.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hate to say it but 4 hours is a long tme for a pup.. I know people have to work but you wouldnt leave a two year old chid alone for 4 hours not even an 8 year old child for that matter .. Ive seen what a beagle can do in 5 minutes let alone 4 hours..

Think abut any possible alternatives and maybe invest in a puppy cam so that you can at least see if hes in trouble while youre gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts