Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloo :)

So I have a foster puppy at the moment, but we've had him 3 weeks now and still no signs of anyone wanting to adopt him unfortunately for him :(. Anyways! He's a Blue Cattle Dog, just passed the 12 week mark, and he's super smart (I already taught him his new party trick, when I say "stick 'em up!" and he raises both paws, then I say 'bang!' and he dies dramatically :D, he loves it.)

Anywhoo, back on track.. As I'm unemployed and my housemate gets very few shifts at work, someones always been home for him 24/7. However we're at that point now where I can't leave him in my housemates care anymore as they too have a 2 year old dog who is the biggest sook and doesn't play with my puppy. Being a cattle dog, my pup, Toby, just wants to play and play and play, but the housemates dog sits there, lets Toby bite his legs and stuff trying to play, and does nothing. Just looks up at my housemates with a sulky face, then they yell at Toby saying "Barney doesn't like it, stop!" So really it's at that point where Toby basically moves a muscle and he's yelled at. It's tough for Toby, as a puppy he doesn't understand what the housemates want from him, they play with Barney, but not him, they let Barney on the couch, but not him, etc. So Toby's a bit confused with all that, either way, I just can't leave him here under their supervision without me here!

So it's been 3 weeks and he hasn't had to be alone yet, so I know this process is now unfortunately going to be difficult, also difficult because he's just going to want to play with Barney cause Barney will be home.. I'm thinking of leaving Toby in my bathroom when I need to go out. Taking away all chemicals/shampoos/toilet paper rolls/ everything basically, leaving it quite bare. If he was my dog I'd buy a crate but as he's only a foster I can't just spare that money seeing as he could be rehomed next week. We're only in a town house though, so I can't have him barking at all. And I know he will as soon as the door shuts and I'm not in there with him, so, what can I do to get this to work?? He's also going to notice when Barney or someone walks past the bathroom and that will set him off...

I'm only needing to go out at night, so I'm hoping anyways that he'll just settle down enough and sleep, but getting him to stay settled, even though he'll hear footsteps/smell people out the door etc... and without barking..

Thanks!

Oh, and this is Toby!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you have a baby gate? so he separated but still part of the action? If not, I don't see the harm in leaving him in the bathroom - so long as he has something to occupy him - stuffed kongs and other toys. Try it a few times when you will be around get him used to the idea of being in there alone, make it a positive experience; have him go in wherever you want him to go, give him a great treat - do some training while your at it - down stays etc ; wait until he is calm and leave without making too much fuss. He will most likely not like it and start to cry - ride it out, let him cry himself to sleep basically. Once hes done let him out and treat him for being so good! Maybe even feed him in there to associate SO many awesome things with HIS space. Eventually he will get it. Think of the bathroom (or wherever) like one big crate!

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
Can you buy a crate off craigslist? Just clean well with bleach water before bringing it inside.
Can you ask the shelter or rescue to provide one? Even my city's less than well run shelter will provide a crate if a foster requests it; they just never offer them or make them obviously available.
And then put the crate in your bedroom and start introducing it as a positive thing for short periods of time.

Being able to advertise a foster dog as "crate trained" is a big adoption selling point; not everyone has a bathroom to spare for a dog or they may have several dogs or they simply like the safety and security of being able to crate the dog during a workday.

A bathroom isn't bad, but it isn't the best either. Sometimes being in the small, closed space is stressful. And even if you take out the cleaners etc, he can still chew the cabinets/woodwork/linoleum etc. My current foster managed to chew through the door frame and turn 2 feet of solid wood into tiny bits of pulp :) If you can't get a crate though, the bathroom is a fairly good option.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OMG if I did not have 3 dogs I would take that puppy do fast I love cattle dogs. I am really shocked you are having a hard time placing him. But you do live far away.

You need to get that pup seen he will get adopted FAST if he is out and about. take him to petco to the dog park put up a little add for him at petsmart. Are you working with an adoption group? If not get his photo and wright up to a cattle dog rescue they will help you find a good home for him.

As for the problem you have. A 2 year old dog does not want to play?? That is weird. You need to run your pup play lots of fetch make him tired before you leave the house and he should be better about not bothering the other dog. Baby gate they are cheap even free sometimes. That would be the best.

Really you should be focused on finding the dog a home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts