Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if it's been covered before (which it probably has!) I've got a new Labrador Retriever puppy after sadly losing my old Labrador Retriever to cancer at 15yrs old, 2 & 1/2 months ago, which was devastating!

I've had him a week & he's 6 weeks old. Today for the first time I had to leave him to go to work, however he has been left alone at least one a day since I've had him as I've had to go to Warlmart or something & I've also put him in his 'area' (he's got a fair size part of the kitchen with his bed, bowls, toys & training mats) to do things upstairs or housework etc as I wanted him to get used to being on his own. He initially cried for a couple of minutes but as I don't make a fuss over leaving him in there or when I come back he soon settled down.

Today I went home at lunchtime to feed him, let him out in the garden, play with him etc, (& intend to do this for the foreseeable future) but I do feel bad at leaving him (he will be alone for 4hrs, give or take a few minutes, depending on traffic) but I have no other option & used to leave my other dog with no problems however he was 8 weeks old when I got him & Doc obviously younger than that.

I know I'm opening myself up for criticism & believe me if I didn't have to work full time I certainly wouldn't do! Anyway, I know a lot of people think that even 4hrs is too long to leave a dog but my question is (sorry it's taken so long to get to the point!) what's the difference between me leaving him while I'm at work & someone who shuts their dog in the kitchen (for example) over night, when they'd be on their own for longer than 4hrs?

Thanks

·
Banned
749 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
It sounds like you have a proper place set up for the puppy when you are away. It is not like you are locking him in a crate for the four hours which would be too hard on a puppy that young. Give him lots of safe things to play with while you are gone. If you can have some play time in the morning before you leave, chances are the puppy will spend most of the four hours sleeping.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I'm a little curious about where you got a lab pup at five weeks old. Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, that pup should still be with his mama.

That question is relevant to your situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts