Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know, we're bringing a 2nd dog tomorrow (weather permitting!). Growing up, we always left our dogs alone together when we went out somewhere. Both my mom and dad (divorced) have multiple dogs and leave them out together. In all that time, I never remember any of the dogs "turning" on each other and I only remember the occasional scuffle. My sister also has two dogs that are even crated together when they're gone.

I assumed that once Mayzie earned house priveleges, we would let she and Ranger stay alone together in the house. However, I've been reading some things that say you should never do this. Because even if they've always gotten along, there's always the possibility of them getting into a fight and really hurting each other.

What do you all think? If you have multiple dogs, do you leave them alone together when you're not around to supervise?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I leave 4 out of 5 of my dogs out alone together, the other is crated. We left our past dogs together almost all the time while we were gone. I agree with Dogstar.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I know from another thread on here that a lot of people don't, but I've always left my dogs alone together and they are not crated. I've never been concerned about them getting into a fight, and we remove any thing that could cause a fight (my mutt is food aggressive and a resource guarder)

·
Registered
962 Posts
ya, that other thread died a quick death. I think it deals with Pit Bulls, but for other breed that do not have a history of being bread to fight and kill one another, I would feel most dogs will do just fine home alone. The only thing that would concern me is not if they decide to kill one another, but if they found something that could harm them like chewing an electric cord, or getting into some chemical etc. My dogs have proven they will leave strange things alone, not sure why but they will spend most of there time naping and looking out the window for our return. We do police our home so there are no dangerous items available to them!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've been doing it with no problems, but I will only do it after I've tired them out completely. When they greet me at the door, they're trotting sleepily from the bedroom all yawning at the same time... I figure if they're exhausted and napping while I'm away, they can't get into too much trouble together!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I leave my shelties out alone together. I would leave them all out, but my other two have to be crated for other reasons. I agree it depends on the dogs.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Four of our seven can be left out together. The other three must be crated unless they are supervised. I know my dogs, but I found out the hard way that sometimes everything is okay... until it isn't.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I leave my 2 dogs and cat together and I have never had a problem. But I agree, be sure you know how they are when you are home...IMO, that will be a good indicator of how they will be alone. Good luck and we DEMAND pictures of the new addition...;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts