Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you leave your dog alone with the run of the house/a room, how old was your dog when you allowed it? And what was the indication for you that it was ready to be left alone with more freedom?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Gradually expanding their freedom both in terms of space and time. Dog proof a room as much as possible, tire the dog out and leave for 30-60 minutes. If all goes well, add a little time. Then a little less exercise maybe. Until a full day in a dog "proof" room is consistently not a problem. If you want to give more run of the house, try it out after that but usually a good sized room with a window and a place to lounge suits most dogs just fine in terms of space.

Regardless of how trustworthy the dog is, always put completely out of reach anything truly dangerous that might be tempting like medications and cleaning products.

As a very broad generality, somewhere around 2 years is when dogs are more/most likely to start being able to have freedom but I've met 5 month old pups OK in a dog safe room and 2 year olds who eat couches. Overall though, you can kind of tell when they grow a brain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I started leaving my guy out when he was 6 months. Before that he was confined to a puppy-proofed room. Milo was unusually non-distructive though. I also picked up before leaving and made sure I didn't leave out anything that was dangerous.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got my rescue at ~6 months, and I've left her alone for short periods from almost the very beginning. She just never cared about 'stuff', has still never picked up so much as a sock that wasn't hers and has never chewed up anything. It's been well over a year since I adopted her and she still has the original toys I bought her, minus the squeeker and stuffing out of one of them. She's a strange one, I think I got lucky!

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I attempted to leave mine at 1 year old, and he did really, really well for 5+ hours all by himself. Just slept. It lasted a few months that way, but then he decided he wanted to eat books, so we had to take him back to square one. I decided to try it, because he typically leaves anything that is not his toys alone. Never had issues with counter surfing. We could probably try again at this point, but we'll see.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
My older dog was left alone loose since 6-12 months of age, can't exactly remember. However, he never showed ANY destructive tendencies or interest in furniture, wires, etc. He was pretty high energy in his younger days, but very chill in the house.

My younger dog is currently 11 months old and I would never dream of leaving him alone and loose in the house. Even if my other dog wasn't in the picture (the primary reason is separating both dogs since my older is a resource guarder), my 11mo is just soooo much busier, more prone to just sniffing around seeing what's interesting... He has never destroyed a single inappropriate thing due to management and training, no counter surfing tendencies even if food is on the table, so he might be fine. But I don't trust him yet. Plus, he is so well crate trained and ex-pen trained, there really is no reason for me to test the waters.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I will share my coworker's experience, where she started with her crate trained puppy and tried leaving her loose at around 6 months. The first few days were great! Nothing destroyed, no accidents. Then one day she came home and a cardboard box from the recycling pile was destroyed, no big deal... Then she came home and something else was destroyed...

Long story short, the dog is now a year old and is crated while my coworker is at work :D
It's much harder when the dog has already made a mistake since they have experienced destroying things.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I will share my coworker's experience, where she started with her crate trained puppy and tried leaving her loose at around 6 months. The first few days were great! Nothing destroyed, no accidents. Then one day she came home and a cardboard box from the recycling pile was destroyed, no big deal... Then she came home and something else was destroyed...

Long story short, the dog is now a year old and is crated while my coworker is at work :D
It's much harder when the dog has already made a mistake since they have experienced destroying things.
That was my experience, pretty much exactly. Should have put him back in the crate with the first destroyed book, but I didn't. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I thought I'd never be able to leave Pepper alone in the house because she had so much energy and like getting into things. But finally I started noticing she was less interested in chewing on things/getting into trouble. A few times I left her in the house while I went outside for a bit and she did fine. So I started leaving her a bit longer. I'd make a quick trip to the store, etc. She was fine. One day I forgot to close the door to her room and she was loose in the house all day long and she didn't get into anything! So she was okay to be left alone after that (around 3.5 years old). UNTIL a year ago after I put up the Christmas tree and put a few wrapped gifts under it. She decided to go ahead and open the gifts to see what we got her! In her defense, some of the stuff was from PetSmart so she could probably smell them. Now for the past year she's been hit and miss. If she's really tired, like after a day of daycare, she's fine in the house, but if she has energy or is bored, she will find something to destroy. So we play it by ear these days. I've started blocking off the kitchen completely since that's where she checks first. Sometimes I let her have the house and sometimes she's in her room.

Now Kane I thought would be fine in the house by himself. As a puppy he wasn't destructive and only chewed on his toys. He's much calmer than Pepper. However, as he grew up he got more destructive and he can't be left alone at all. He has separation anxiety which probably is a factor, but he's always in his crate when left at home. He's three now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What Lillith and Canyx describe is exactly why Atlas, at a year and a half, is still crated when we are all gone from the house. He is amazing when there is someone there (even if that person is downstairs all day and he stays upstairs by himself) or overnight (he won't even lick dishes that have been left out on end tables). But I could also see him being fine for awhile, but deciding one day to get himself into trouble, and I would rather that not happen.

We don't have the space right now to give him an entire room (hopefully one day), but he has a Great Dane sized crate (he's an Aussie) and an ex-pen attached to it. Leaves him lots of room to find a cool spot to lay, and he's always getting up and stretching when I come in the house, so he seems pretty content with the set up.

I can definitely see him having the whole house one day, but not just yet. (We have Labradors living downstairs right now that have been known to destroy and eat things... which is likely why I am making sure Atlas doesn't get the chance to learn that habit.)

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I will add that there are some dogs in this world who need to be crated/ contained when alone their entire lives. Not because they have separation anxiety, or because they'd tear through the house and remodel, or because they have house training issues. Good dogs who are BUSY and use their mouths (a little nibble here, a little there...) will get into trouble. Maybe once in a blue moon, or with specific items. But it is not realistic to expect every dog to be able to be left loose in the house, nor are the dogs who need some confinement 'bad' dogs.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Never for more than an hour or two and only one dog who is now almost 8 years old. I have a Great Dane size crate and two regular kennels (5'X10') downstairs in the basement (cool in summer and warm in winter) when I go out. I always have feared the dogs gnawing an electrical cord or outlet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
4 or so, making sure to put away everything the dog would be interested in.

He's still destroyed a bunch of kid toys (he had a thing for Barbies and Little Ponies) and got into things he shouldn't have because we left it in reach, but it was really all our fault, and it didn't happen that often. Honestly it happened because we had to move to a small apartment and had no room for a crate anyway (using the past tense because he's almost 14yo now and hasn't got into anything at all in a year).

My almost 1yo puppy is nowhere ready though, she'll still eat everything she puts her paws on (she has an extra large crate as well though). It really depends on your household though, it wouldn't be as bad here if my kids didn't leave stuff where they shouldn't, but it doesn't help that she'll counter/table surf to find things to eat. Hopefully she gets over that at some point.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
I rescued Mikee at 1.5yo and left him alone after a few weeks - mistake. He found papers, newspapers, low-hanging ... books, and destroyed them out of anxiety. After a few more weeks, and after removing easy targets for destruction, I was able to let Mikee free roam alone with no repercussions. He may not like when I leave and may bark for 5 minutes after I go, but no destruction.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Mini Labradoodle was not a destructive puppy. We started giving her short periods of home alone free reign somewhere around 7 - 9 months old. She was mostly successful, so we worked up the time longer an longer as she earned more of our trust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts