Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this doesn't start any conflict like it can in horses, but my puppy is kept at my SO's house with his family's two other dogs. Mine is fixed but the other two are intact. One is a Pom who they plan to breed and is pretty well mannered. The other is a dachsund who tries to breed everything he sees and is truly a pain. He is intact just because, no other reason. What are people's opinions on leaving a male intact just for the heck of it?

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
Just for the heck of it?

That sounds reckless and irresponsible, since you ask. There are legitimate reasons for not spaying or neutring, but that's not one of them.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
What he said. I leave my dogs intact for several reasons, but "just because" isn't one of em

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Personally I don't think there's any reason to leave a dog intact unless there are plans for breeding and/or showing the dog. Just because is not a good reason in my world.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have an intact male that will most likely never be neutered. But I only came to this conclusion after hours of researching the benefits and risks of alteration. And I had to decide if I was capable of keeping an intact male without accidental breeding.

It is a burden and responsibility that should NEVER be taken lightly.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Witness the effects of propaganda. LOL.

You should be asking 'Are there legitimate reasons to neuter?' (not what reasons NOT to neuter). If no legit reasons (e.g. behavioral problems, can't control wandering, etc) to neuter, then don't put your dog through unneeded surgery.

A surgery is not a minor thing in itself, and neutering has various health risks associated with it. Why so eager to put Fido under the knife?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The way I see it, if a person is responsible enough and trains their dog to the fullest, then there is no reason why a dog shouldnt be left intact.

But in our society, the RESPONSIBLE owner are FEW ARE FAR BETWEEN. So I honestly think the majority of society should spay and neuter their animals.

I still am not sure if I want to neuter my male dane. No way is he for breeding purposes... but I consider myself one of the few responsible owners that want to leave their dogs intact... only because I KNOW I have complete control of every situation we're in together. I have complete confidence in the training I have done with him... and continue to do with him daily. Training never ends when you want a sound and wonderful dog.

I definitely think that those people you are speaking of NEED to fix their animals... sounds completely irresponsible.
Nessa

·
Banned
572 Posts
I have ansolutely no problem with leaving a dog intact for any reason. As I've said before, being intact is not a disease, nor is it a sign of an irresponsible owner. I am especially angry with people who neuter a very young pup "just because" the Vet said it's ok. I happen to disagree with that sentiment, and would never alter an animal before puberty. Contrary to popular myth & propoganda, it is healthier to leave a dog intact than to surgically remove organs responsible for reproduction AND *lifelong* hormone balance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well this particular dog is about 2 or 3 years old. I don't really have a problem with the Pom who is intact because he is very mannerly, but the dog in question is not mannerly whatsoever. He tries to breed my puppy and when he doesn't allow it then he bullies him pretty badly. My SO and I are rather annoyed with having our legs humped everytime we're around him. I see no reason to leave him intact. He seems very stressed all the time trying to find something to breed to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a matter of fact, a small bit of reading on the web will introduce you to the benefits of not neutering your dog.

A recent very very throrough study in Vizslas suggested that the incidence of certain cancers among altered dogs were increased 85% in dogs that were altered.

Its also more likely to suffer soft tissue injury.

However, all of these things go down the drain if one is a irresponsible pet owner who is not willing to properly train and socialize the dog. If this is the case, I am sure dogs are more likely to be euthanized for improper behaviour or are allowed to stray and be killed in a car accident wandering the streets.

In any realm, a lot of breeders are taking note of the significant decrease in cancer, especially breeds such as the Golden Retriever and Bernese Mountain Dog where the incidence of cancer is so dramatically increased for the breed as a whole.

If anyone would like a copy of the reporting, I would be happy to pass it along, a fascinating read.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well I personally think that speutering a dog is generally for the best. That said, it sounds like the issue is a dominance issue. You said it's irritating that the dog is constantly humping your leg but it's not a breeding thing or even a "it feels good" kind of thing, it's just him trying to say he's the boss. So in my opinion that would be the larger issue here and one that should be addressed with training. Even speutered dogs hump to assert dominance.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
The way I see it, if a person is responsible enough and trains their dog to the fullest, then there is no reason why a dog shouldnt be left intact.

But in our society, the RESPONSIBLE owner are FEW ARE FAR BETWEEN. So I honestly think the majority of society should spay and neuter their animals.
I would actually agree with you. The thing is training a dog to that extent is extremely time intensive. There was an episode of Mythbusters a while back where they tested methods to get past a guard dog. The dog was in a fenced area and was protecting a safe. The build team had to open the gate, walk to the safe, open the safe, take it's contents and make it back out of the gate. They wore a protective suit of course and, if I remember right, a GSD was the dog in question. One of them would try to get to the safe while another one would try to distract the dog from outside the fence. They tried things like a steak, acting submissive, acting dominant, etc... None of these things worked and the dog still attacked the would be thief. The one thing that did work and was the only thing that was "confirmed" was the scent of a bitch in heat. This was a professionally trained guard dog that would be hired out by a security company. The dog was totally distracted by a lure with the scent of a bitch in heat. He paid no attention to the thief at all and spent his time at the fence sniffing the lure. The urge to reproduce is an extremely strong urge and should not be underestimated.

It is extremely difficult (although it can be done) to train a dog to ignore this urge. There is extreme responsibility then on the owner of the intact animal to do this training or have complete and total control of their animal at all times. No exceptions can be made. This is why I choose s/n. I don't want this headache and I'm of the opinion that there are just as many health issues with the s/n as there are without one.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Mine stay intact. I'm more concerned with neutering just because. That seems to be the trend. I will neuter for a legitimate reason, which would be a health issue if it arises.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Well this particular dog is about 2 or 3 years old. I don't really have a problem with the Pom who is intact because he is very mannerly, but the dog in question is not mannerly whatsoever. He tries to breed my puppy and when he doesn't allow it then he bullies him pretty badly. My SO and I are rather annoyed with having our legs humped everytime we're around him. I see no reason to leave him intact. He seems very stressed all the time trying to find something to breed to.
The behavior you are describing is not breeding behavior. It is dominance behavior. Dogs do not try to breed other male dogs, human legs, etc.

He is attempting to assert dominance. Neutering may or may not have an impact on this behavior. If he is doing it to the extent and obsessiveness that you describe, there is a good chance neutering won't have an effect.

Training can be very effective in controlling dominance humping whether or not the dog is neutered.

My opinion is that even if the dog does get neutered, this behavior will likely need to be addressed through training.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm surprised at how many people are saying they have an intact male and that it's okay to do so... last dog forum I was on where this topic came up the majority ruled in favor of neutering UNLESS the dog was for show/breeding.

When did this opinion change among dog fanciers, why, and where the heck was I when it happened?! :confused:

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'm surprised at how many people are saying they have an intact male and that it's okay to do so... last dog forum I was on where this topic came up the majority ruled in favor of neutering UNLESS the dog was for show/breeding.

When did this opinion change among dog fanciers, why, and where the heck was I when it happened?! :confused:
I think most people here s/n, like RonE mentioned below. It just happens a lot of people who replied don't neuter I guess.

Not sure when this opinion changed amount "dog fanciers" as that'd depend. Not all groups of fanciers have thought everyone must s/n or they are bad owners or whatever other mess. Many people I have known have pretty much never s/n just as many I know always have. Depends on the people.

I've always seldom s/n mine. Most of mine have been intact. So my opinion didn't exactly change and I still think s/n has its place. It is a personal choice as well.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The thing about that ep is that that was ONE dog. I know folks with intact male service dogs (this is unusual, but it does happen) and they have no problem with working around in-season girls. Quite likely, the individual dog had not been proofed for that type of a situation. (Which is why it worked, duh. :p) I have a girl in season right now, and Mal is still as focused as ever (which is to say, not terribly; eh's a furry slug.)

Cait
I would actually agree with you. The thing is training a dog to that extent is extremely time intensive. There was an episode of Mythbusters a while back where they tested methods to get past a guard dog. The dog was in a fenced area and was protecting a safe. The build team had to open the gate, walk to the safe, open the safe, take it's contents and make it back out of the gate. They wore a protective suit of course and, if I remember right, a GSD was the dog in question. One of them would try to get to the safe while another one would try to distract the dog from outside the fence. They tried things like a steak, acting submissive, acting dominant, etc... None of these things worked and the dog still attacked the would be thief. The one thing that did work and was the only thing that was "confirmed" was the scent of a bitch in heat. This was a professionally trained guard dog that would be hired out by a security company. The dog was totally distracted by a lure with the scent of a bitch in heat. He paid no attention to the thief at all and spent his time at the fence sniffing the lure. The urge to reproduce is an extremely strong urge and should not be underestimated.

It is extremely difficult (although it can be done) to train a dog to ignore this urge. There is extreme responsibility then on the owner of the intact animal to do this training or have complete and total control of their animal at all times. No exceptions can be made. This is why I choose s/n. I don't want this headache and I'm of the opinion that there are just as many health issues with the s/n as there are without one.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The studies I've read about the "benefits" of not neutering were fractions of a fraction of a percent difference in getting or not getting a disease or condition.....once generalized out are statistically insignificant as to be irrelevant.

It is becoming fashionable not to neuter/spay and that's really sad. There are millions dogs and cats euthanized in this country EVERY YEAR because "the masses" may log on for advice and read drivel about "it's healthier to keep your pet intact" so they do and then Fluffy mates with Bowser. Congrats folks! Stoke your ego, keep your pets intact, encourage random people on the internet to do so and we can just filling up the landfill with dead, unwanted dogs.

There are legitimate reasons to keep animals intact..."just because" is not one of them...and I've not read any studies that convince me leaving a dog unaltered will significantly extend their life or make them healthier than an altered pet. I think removing a dog's balls actually had the potention to make (esp males) them a better companion because they lose the drive to reproduce.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.