Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 5 month old puppy who is half corgie, half german shepherd. Usually when I leave for school, I leave him out in the apartment to roam as he pleases. He does very well -- no accidents, nothing chewed up, and he plays with his own toys.

Recently I had a friend take care of him for a day and while my friend ran errands, he left my puppy in his crate. My dog proceeded to bark through his entire stay in his crate!

My question is this: is it worthwhile to train my puppy to like his crate, or is it not really worthwhile, since he does so well outside of his crate?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think it would be worthwhile in the event he does need to be confined - cable guy in the house, large party, small kids, whatever. It's a nice option to have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it would be worthwhile in the event he does need to be confined - cable guy in the house, large party, small kids, whatever. It's a nice option to have.
This is true... I've kind of started trying to get him used to his crate again by feeding him in the crate and giving him treats for staying in the crate. Any other advice on how to get him to like his crate again?

(BTW, I stole your dog age counter... hope you don't mind!)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
It is definitely worthwhile to do, even if you don't leave him in it on a regular basis while you're gone. I wish I had done it with my dog -- but I didn't, so her form of a crate is a nice leather recliner..

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is true... I've kind of started trying to get him used to his crate again by feeding him in the crate and giving him treats for staying in the crate. Any other advice on how to get him to like his crate again?

(BTW, I stole your dog age counter... hope you don't mind!)
LOL - I stole it from someone else. ;)

I got Hershey used to her crate with frozen PB kongs, she only gets them in her crate. Now she sees me pull one out of the freezer and she leaves skid marks in the kitchen because she can't get to her crate fast enough.

Other than that, her crate is in the common area and the door is off during the day so she can chill in there when she wants but still be near the central action. Her water dish is in there and as I pick up her toys I toss them in there - so if she wants to drink or get her toys back, she's gotta go in the crate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is definitely worthwhile to do, even if you don't leave him in it on a regular basis while you're gone. I wish I had done it with my dog -- but I didn't, so her form of a crate is a nice leather recliner..
LOL - I stole it from someone else. ;)

I got Hershey used to her crate with frozen PB kongs, she only gets them in her crate. Now she sees me pull one out of the freezer and she leaves skid marks in the kitchen because she can't get to her crate fast enough.

Other than that, her crate is in the common area and the door is off during the day so she can chill in there when she wants but still be near the central action. Her water dish is in there and as I pick up her toys I toss them in there - so if she wants to drink or get her toys back, she's gotta go in the crate.
OK great... I'll work on getting him back in his crate! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I wish I could train Donatello to crate, but I have too big of a heart. lol! He spent god knows how long at the Animal Shelter, plus whatever his life was before that... I'm scared to see how he reacts to a crate.

I mean, he'd probably do good with it, he likes hiding under my bed... but he might have some memories of a crate that aren't so nice, and I don't feel like putting holes in our trust right now...

Whenever I leave, I put Donatello in my room. He's not loose in the house, but he has free roam in my bedroom; Food, water, toys, my bed, his dog bed... He does great in there.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I mean, he'd probably do good with it, he likes hiding under my bed... but he might have some memories of a crate that aren't so nice, and I don't feel like putting holes in our trust right now...
You could just put a crate in your bedroom, with a cushy bed in it, and let him make his own decision. I suspect Penny was cruelly crated as a pup, but she still loves having a crate to sleep in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts