Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maximus, my longhaired doxie, has been itchy the whole 6 months we've had him. It kinda died down when I started cooking for them, but he's started again. I was thinking of doing just 2 or 3 ingredients in the next batch of food I make him, and slowly adding things to see if its something in his diet that he's allergic to. I was wondering what the least allergenic things I could give him? I was thinking of doing turkey and oatmeal. Also, how long would I need to give him the simplified diet before I started adding things?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dogs can be allergic to anything. No such thing as less allergic! Some foods are less digestible, like rice is more digestible than corn. Some foods are very common in dog food and lots of dogs end up being allergic to the food. Make a list of foods he has been fed and compare to the cooked diet that worked better.

Look at the food he was really itchy on and feed him food without any of those ingredients like you are doing. I would feed the turkey and oatmeal for at least a month before trying any other foods. At least, safer would be to feed for a month past seeing any itchiness at all. Watch any vitamin and mineral supplements to make sure they don't have any meat or grain product like corn starch or liver flavore as tiny amounts can trigger a reaction.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I didn't even think about vitamins or supplements causing it. I'm making the first batch of his simplified diet when I get off work tonight.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
When we got our now 3yr old pbgv, at 9 weeks, he started with itchies and ear infections not too long after. An online friend gave me a list of ingredients to avoid...she got the list from Tufts (I didn't want to do allergy testing). The list to avoid is
chicken
soy
wheat
corn
rice
flax

i don't know what my dog is sensitive to but he was on California Natural's herring & sweet potato for over 2yrs and no ear infections. He's always paw licked and ear chewed; he does better on a no grain food.
Keep in mind that everything your dog injests has to be considered. All treats, all supplements. We found out that my dog's ears flared when he has brewers yeast so that is a big no no in this house!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, inkedmarie. I've cut back on most of the treats. Now he'll only get the duck jerky. He likes that. I'm going to read the supplement ingredients tonight. My husband made the dogs food last night, so I didn't complain. Max will have to start next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts