Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is a such thing as an indestructible leash??? My puppy chews her leash when we are walking and I do correct her all the time, unfortunately we were in front of the house after a long walk the other day talking to a neighbor and the puppy laid on the floor (patiently, or so i thought) chewing and chewing and chewed right through the leash. I will purchase online I will go to a store, just don't want this to happen and me not notice and end up losing her... :eek:

·
Registered
818 Posts
They do make leashes out of chain link. That might be the solution for now. Eventho' they're not indestructible, Lupine collars and leashes are guaranteed. They will replace your leash for free even if chewed thru. I know, I just sent a leash to them that was chewed by my brother's pug and they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked! Good luck! Oh, and just keep training and keeping an eye on your pup. Also, have you tried the bitter lime/apple sprays on the leash? Just a thought, might or might not help. Teach the "leave it" command, too. Helps in alot of situations.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The only "indestructible leash" available would be a chain one, but I do not highly recommend them, nor do I allow them in my training classes. Chain leashes can be dangerous, not to mention they're heavy especially on a small dog or young puppy. They're dangerous for you because you can easily get your fingers/hand pinched in it and they're dangerous to the dog because your pup can easily get a tooth ripped out on it or her gums cut up from chewing on it! I use to own a chain leash for a compulsive chewer (she was full grown too) but I didn't like it at all.

Linkin was a bad chewer on the leash when I got him. We went through several until I bought some Bitter Apple Spray and doused the leash in it. It was only a few days of this before he stopped chewing on it... though keep in mind YOUR hands touch the leash too so make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after using the leash or YOU'LL be the one tasting that nasty stuff ;)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
1) Get a chain leash.

Or...

2) Slip a 6-12"" length of aluminum conduit over your leather/nylon strap leash, and hammer it flat at the clip end.

Or...

3) Pay attention to what your puppy is doing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice on what to get maybe i will try the bitter apple. And I do pay attention to what she is doing like I stated she was laying patiently (Hiding the fact that she was biting the leash, she does know she is not supposed to) she was trained to wait if we are stopped for any reason in the street she sits or lays and waits. Thanks again and I don't want to try a chain leash, had one at one time in my life really didn't like it, but will without a doubt try the brand suggested or I did find this website may even order one... ;)
http://www.muttgear.net/

·
Registered
818 Posts
Like that leash from muttgear.net. Looks like something I'd use. Tho' I've never used one, I don't like chain leashes either. Good luck, you're on the right track. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I was going to recommend the coated cable leads, but they come with a warning. If the dog bites through the individual strands (very fine wire), they are dangerous.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You might try a shorter leash. I use a 24" leash on my dogs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
is that bitter apple spray expensive? can you get it at petsmart? my pup bites her leash too.
Bitter Apple is an invaluable tool with a puppy. Petsmart does have it. I've sprayed it on door ledges, table legs, shoes, and even my own feet! LOL Rascal was a biting little thing with sharp teeth! LOL

·
Registered
214 Posts
oh wow! does it stain or anything? my pup bites everything!
I've never had it stain anything. It isn't that expensive either. It is a new fur mommy's best friend! When Rascal was a puppy, he used to bite toes all of the time. My daughter would spray her feet, shoes and bottoms of her pant legs to get him to not bite her. It worked miracles. I have heard though that some dogs get de-sensitized by it if they get too much. Of course, that came from someone whose puppy tore up the bottle and drank 1/2 the bottle before she noticed. :eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
haha! probably so true. we'd probably only use it on our feet and her leash.

she always tries to eat grass and leaves too. can't spray the world i guess! :p

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If your only problem is leash biting as such, then a bitter spray will help save you from having to replace leashes.

We use Fooey (like Bitter Apple but stronger) and it does work. Remember that it is a training aid, not a permanent solution. It is also not a crutch. Whenever you use it, try to ask yourself what is actually going on. Is it a teething puppy? Is it a demanding dog that needs more socialization training? Try to make some positive opportunity rather than just keep things negative.

·
Registered
184 Posts
she bites the leash because she is a puppy. lol. she is biting everything. but she bites more around women than men. she gets really submissive around men. i think it's because she spent a lot of time with my boyfriend during the day while she was really little and he was off work.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use a chain leash with Maybe. Becasue she chews through regular ones.
She knows enough not to chew on the chain one. but ya they are a bit heavy..and you do have to make sure not to get your fingers/hands caught in it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah she's a little pup i'd be afraid it would feel heavy for her. and with her baby teeth she could break a tooth should she still want to chew. thank you for the advice though! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts