Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new dog dad and I have a unique problem that I've never encountered before. My Bernese Mountain Dog is now 10 weeks old and he doesn't like to go on walks. I have a rope leash for him and he likes to bite a piece of it; I have no issue with that. He will go outside, and walk across the front yard but as soon as we start to go by the neighbors house he'll start pulling and resisting. I can coax him with treats and positive reinforcement to continue walking but that only works for so long and only half the time. I would assume that he thinks the rope leash is a toy, thus the fix is get a new leash. However as soon as I give up trying to go any farther and turn around he walks just fine. No issues. Im not sure if this is a territorial thing or if I do need a new leash. Please let me know any kind of advice anyone might have.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Sounds like he's just nervous of going too far from home, which is pretty common in baby puppies. The solution is to only go as far as they are comfortable, stay there for a while and play games and eat treats, and go home, and the next time he will (hopefully) be comfortable going a little bit further, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yes it is actually quite common for young puppies to not like going for walks. Follow gingerkid's advice and your puppy will eventually be fine on walks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts