Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to dread taking my two girls (a Golden Retriever and a Lab X) on walks. I have to take them together or the other one starts to display symptoms of separation anxiety (mainly the Lab mix) but the golden is terrible on the lead, I have tried stopping and not moving, I have also tried the sudden change of direction, I have tried treats, and holding the leash behind my back, we have also tried the Halti(R), the Gentle Leader, the No Pull Harness, a chain collar (yes the choke chain), we have tried long leads, short leads, I have even tried a show lead and that didn't work. I know that she is very headstrong (I will not say that she is stubborn). I need some help, we have taken her to three different trainers and that has not helped, what are we doing wrong?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It always helps me to get my dog to relax before we even leave the house. I open the door and just make him sit there and be calm. Here you buy dog walking stuff and they are updating the resources section which training information.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I really can't say this any other way so please don't be insulted.

But you must train your dog for loose-leash walking.

And before you can walk the dogs together, they must be trained to walk separately. Since one of your dogs seems to be OK about it, you can concentrate on the one that isn't.

All the training aids, halters, etc won't help if you don't do the training. Just putting them on a leash and starting the walk is not training.

No dog is born knowing how to walk on a loose leash. Every dog you see walking on a loose leash in a well-behaved fashion has been trained to do it. Some dogs pick up the idea of loose-leash walking so quickly that in many cases the owners aren't even aware that they did any training.

Other cases can be more of a challenge. If you have a big dog that doesn't take kindly to a leash and collar, then you do have your work cut out for you. There is a very good sticky on this forum on how to teach the skill. The sticky emphasizes puppies and younger dogs, but the training techniques are exactly the same for adults. Just keep in mind that an adult dog will often be more difficult than a puppy because a lot of established behevior patterns have to be altered.

The only thing i will add to that sticky is that you should set a much higher training goal than simply walking forward on a lead.. I suggest that your goal be to get your dog to walk backwards on lead with you for as long as you move backwards yourself. I will tell you bluntly that you may not acheve that goal because many dogs can't learn that skill for more than a few steps, and some few dogs can't even do that. But if you continuously work toward it, you will be automatically reinforcing the regular loose-leash walking behavior. And if by chance you really do achieve it, you would never have to worry about your dog walking on a loose leash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts