Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when should i start leash training? i have had a collar on Eris since i got her so she is used to the collar. The leash on the other hand she pulls back and whines and will even sit down and howl...its sooo cute, but i know she needs to be trained. ALSO is a harness better to use than a collar?? I used both before plus i've used those pinch collars(with my 195lb rottie only used to train him to walk properly). I've always trained my bigger dogs to walk with me when i am pushing i stroller, my rottie used to walk slightly behind me when we walked. I want Eris to have proper manners when we walk--i almost always have a stroller with me( i have 5 kids two of them are 1 1/2 and 5 months old).

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I started at about 12 weeks, hooking a very light ribbon leash to the little collar and letting her drag it around the house. Sometimes I'd pick it up and walk together with her. Work into it slowly and call her along to follow you, rewarding her for staying close to you. Don't pull on the leash, as their necks are fragile at this age.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started at about 12 weeks, hooking a very light ribbon leash to the little collar and letting her drag it around the house. Sometimes I'd pick it up and walk together with her. Work into it slowly and call her along to follow you, rewarding her for staying close to you. Don't pull on the leash, as their necks are fragile at this age.
okay. I plan on using a very light leash designed for my rabbit, its extremely light, would that work for her to drag around?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
okay. I plan on using a very light leash designed for my rabbit, its extremely light, would that work for her to drag around?
I think so, yes. You're puppy is so young! I think I would let training wait for a couple weeks. I would just love her and baby her at this point. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
with both my big dogs I started about the age your puppy is now. Very light leash but I wouldn't hold the end, UNDER 500% supervision I would let them walk around with it so they got used to the "leash" being on them just dragging for about 5-10 min. Then about 3 months I strated the real training!

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with both my big dogs I started about the age your puppy is now. Very light leash but I wouldn't hold the end, UNDER 500% supervision I would let them walk around with it so they got used to the "leash" being on them just dragging for about 5-10 min. Then about 3 months I strated the real training!
okay. she's smart as a whip...she's getting potty training down pat i've never seen a dog her age that goes to a door and whine to let me know she has to go. I say potty outside and she pees everytime i say it...number 2 is a whole other story i have to have her outside with me for about 25 minutes till she goes but she does eventually...i get down and call her and rub her little head and tell her what a 'goooood girl' she is...

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Okay, I'm going to disagree with everyone. :p

I totally think you can start with a regular (lightweight) leash now, holding the end of it.

Day 1, do 3 sessions (3-4 minutes each) of following her around with the leash attached to her collar.
Day 2, do 3 sessions (3-4 minutes each, again- keep all sessions really short at this age) follow her around somewhat, but when she gets more than 3.5' from you (assuming you're using a 6' leash) make a squeaky noise. When she comes back towards you, praise and continue moving forward.
Day 3, 3 sessions, use your voice to keep her interested in you and encourage her to follow and walk with you.Make tiny circles in the center of a room, or a hallway. (I'd give her treats in an approximate heel position, too, but that's because I like dogs that actually heel, not just walk on loose leashes, so I'm looking for a more specific end result- I do think it's faster if there's one spot that you always reward and it's with the dog on one side or the other facing in the same direction as you, rather than sitting or standing directly in front of you so you have to step over them or move around htem to not get tangled and continue moving.)
Day 4, start moving in a short, straight line. Again, use your voice to keep her with you, but she should have learned by this point that walking and paying attention to you at the same time results in treats. Do some RIGHT (no left, left are harder) turns, pivot 90 degrees and work on corners, or even 180 degrees and do an about turn.
Day 5, take it on the road- go outside or in a new room (depending on how her focus is- you want this to be fairly easy) and work on moving a step with her staying focused on you. SLOWLY increase the difficulty (longer distances, left turns, more distracting enviroments) and be consistant with rewarding good behavior- and be liberal with the treats, too.

leash training is a hassle for most people. But it is SO much easier to teach a dog to walk nice as a puppy than to try and re-train him at 18 months because pulling has always worked for him!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts