Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may be solved by just following the loose leash training in the stickied thread, but I just wanted to be sure that that's all I'll have to do.

When I walk my husky puppy, Faolan, with my other dog, Legend, I prefer to walk in single file. I have my fiance walk one and I walk the other. However, with Faolan, if he is in front he walks slow and lags behind. When I walk him behind Legend and whoever is walking him, he pulls and pulls trying to get beside them. If he isn't right on their heels he isn't happy. I just got back from walking him and I tried getting him to focus more on me and less on the ones ahead of us by stopping and telling him to "watch me" and "sit" but he was just so upset he'd pull and scream and cry trying to keep up with the others.

So, do you think this can be solved by the loose leash training or does he have a sort of anxiety problem that will need more work? I did get him one of those anti-pull harnesses because I know huskies are bred to pull, but its a little too big right now so he needs to grow into it, plus I'd prefer to just teach him not to instead of relying on the harness to do it for me.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I agree with you that you want to teach the dog not to pull and not rely on a harness (or other tool). The harness can be very helpful in the interim though and will stop him from reinforcing the pulling.

It sounds like Faolan is very attached to Legend. Are they glued together at home usually? Since Faolan is still young, I would work on this right away. Of course you want your dogs to love each other and get along, but you also want them to be independent.

Read the loose leash walking stickies as well as all the other threads about calm walking...

I would also suggest taking Faolan out by himself. Don't coddle him or make a big deal about it, but just take him out alone. Let him discover a world without Legend in it. Also, if you can, start taking him for two walks a day. One with Legend, one without. Let him experience walking on his own in the big scary world. You are building his independence and confidence. Make sure to give Faolan a lot of individual attention and training time as well.

When you do have both of them on a walk, do yourself and Faolan a favor and walk next to each other. Work on slowly building space between the dogs by moving forward/back and returning to normal side/side position. Introduce him slowly to the concept of not being next to Legend on a walk. Maybe try bringing treats and see if he will focus on you. If he does, praise and treat. repeat. He gets no treats if he is stressed/aroused or pulling.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, well Legend doesn't really like Faolan all that much. Faolan tries to play with Legend and Legend doesn't like the biting so he will growl and sometimes snap at him. He doesn't snap hard enough to break skin, its all just warnings, but Faolan totally ignores it or thinks its play so I am constantly having to break it up. I would never have thought that Faolan has become attached to him. My fiance always takes him out for potty breaks alone, but I always take them at the same time (and we try to split the duty 50/50). When I walk them together, though, Faolan will often try to play with Legend while walking, even if Legend is in the middle of going poo, so it can be a pain and that's why we do single file when taking the big walks. I suppose I will take him on his own today, and try and get him to walk without pulling using the loose leash walking stickied thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts