Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 week old Chihuahua that I just got 4 days ago. He's really sweet, gentle and playful. He loves to walk around the house with me ... that is unless I put a leash on him. I'd really like to get him used to a leash so we can take a walk outside sometime, but he just will not have it. He jumps and whines and pulls back super hard. I try to stand firm and wait for him to become calm. Then I take a step and the process starts all over again.

Does anyone have any tips to help me out? Or do I just need to keep doing this every day until he becomes used to it?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sometimes the introduction to a leash is a slow process. For dogs that are highly leash reactive the usual approach is to clip on something light, even a string, and just let them drag that around the house until they are used to it. Practice picking it up, taking a step or two, use treats/praise for walking with you and then drop the leash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'll definitely try that and see if that will work. I'm sure it will be better than me standing there while he's jumping around completely unhappy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also you might want to give him a few minutes to check the leash out before attaching it to him. Maybe give him a few treats at the same time to make the leash a positive thing from the get go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts