Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My family just got a Goldendoodle puppy 10 days ago. Remus is 9 weeks old now, and he is your typical puppy. Since this is our first dog we are figuring things out as we go. Since he doesn't have his shots, he doesn't go outside much, except on the back porch where we encourage him to go potty, and in our yard for playing and exploring.

He sleeps in my brother's room, where he sometimes has accidents during the night, and overall we're doing ok with the housetraining. It's still hard obviously, but mostly manageable. We don't have a crate yet, but we're looking to get one soon, and get him used to it (though I know it'll be a pain to unteach him to sleep on the couch etc).

A bigger problem is teaching him to behave himself. He play-bites, and gets really excited and out of control, even to the point of growling and barking at us. At times like these, we put him on his leash and tie it to something inside the house, and leave him for a few minutes. He calms down fairly soon, sometimes after a few minutes of crying and howling *loudly*. He hates being tied up, and can't stand being confined. But we figure it'll get him used to the leash, and even if he starts hating the leash, he'll probably start to like it quickly when we start taking him for walks, (in four weeks to 10 weeks from now...) that the leash is the key to happiness and going outside. So am I right? Or is he just going to start hating his leash and never want to be on it? When we try to walk him around the house on the leash he doesn't go. We'll probably start worrying about leash training later.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice about this leash issue, or any other tips about how to calm down a super-over-excited puppy, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Play-biting:
http://www.dogforums.com/19-first-time-dog-owner/8377-bite-stops-here.html
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php

Leash issue:
10 weeks from now is FAR too late to start walks. He needs to be taken out and socialized in a wide range of safe places before he turns 12 weeks old. Is there a reason why you're starting walks so late?

Let him drag the leash around the house for now... just to get him used to the feeling. Walking on a leash is not a natural thing for any animal, no matter how domesticated. Make being on the leash a positive thing.

How often do you walk and train him? Burning off physical and mental energy is key to addressing hyperactivity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I read the Bite Stops Here article earlier too. Putting it into practice though is a different matter. Our "yelping in pain" works, but then he only moves on to chewing my clothing, which I don't like. And if he gets overexcited, and we try to walk away, but our house is open-concept and we can't really shut any doors, he just runs after us and nips at clothing and slippers. (If we had a crate, would we put him inside it to calm down? Would he see this as a punishment?)

We haven't taken him for walks yet because we're worried about him catching something getting sick. He has only had his first shots so far. What do you think about this?

In general he's a TOTAL sweetie though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts