Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We spend a lot of time training our dogs, but there are times when I'm feeling especially deep when I think about what my dogs teach me and I thought I'd share.

Colby is not prejudice. She makes no assumptions and has no pre-conceived notions about people. From the day we brought her home she has proven to us that she loves every single human being (except one, weirdly; an employee in a Petco) she has ever met. She shows the exact same level of excitement--she actually cries!--whenever she meets someone new. Dogs are another story, but let's not go there... :)

I'd like to tell you that I live life like she does, but I don't. I admire her "love everyone" quality, and at times I wish I could be more like her. See? Proof that we can learn things from our dogs!

What about your pups? What have they taught you?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Patience and living in the moment. My girl is very scent driven and she LOVES to stop and smell everything. As we were walking to the beach one day and she was stopping every few feet to smell, I started to get a little frustrated and said, "come on, Molly, we're going to the beach," knowing, of course, that she can't understand me. That's when it hit me, she doesn't know where we're going. She just wants to experience each moment as it happens. She lives totally in the present, enjoying it as it unfolds. She's not worried about where we're going. She's happy with where we are. It was a great lesson for me.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Leeo was my greatest teacher ... He showed me that I had the ability to remove the chain around my heart that held it so heavily over the years ... to allow it to love again ... and no longer fear letting love in. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Patience, patience, patience. Acceptance of others' limitations. To have joy in the moment. To take the opportunity to have fun or be cuddled right now, because those dishes will be there later. Don't worry so much.

Muggsy made me a better person by far. Kabota is picking up where he left off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've learned that happiness can come from the smallest or simplest things. Owning a dog has made me incredibly happy and seeing her happy makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Loyalty.

Also like the T-shirt I saw- "Modesty never got anyone's belly rubbed". (With a picture of a dog on it's back...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts