Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been in 7 weeks, and hope to continue until at least the end of next March.. if anyone knows of agility training in San Diego let me know!

"I can't see!" *stops*

Keep those back feet on the yellow!

Sequencing last week

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw Jackson's video, I love the little guys running! Fortunately classes her are ongoing (in 6 week sections) so we don't have to take a break for winter. It's also indoors which is nice considering Colorado tends to be blanketed in snow in the winter.

We've spent a lot of time on contacts. The instructor's dog will actually stand on her front legs, pull down the teeter, and put her back feet on it with front on the floor, and wait to be released/rewarded! The power of treats.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
if anyone knows of agility training in San Diego let me know!
If you want to PM me with details of when you are going to be in San Diego, I have a really great trainer and can get names of several more if mine doesn't work out. My trainer does all levels, from beginning foundation through dogs working on their MACH.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Video from today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cana0hRSX6A

Whoops! We're having trouble overcoming the EVIL BLACK POSTS on the teeter. She's never hit them or anything, but hates going through them. She has no issue at all with the *bang* though.

"I haz stand rite here and I gets treats?! Dat is awesum. I do that."

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Hmm.. I've never seen posts like that on a competition teeter. Do they have another teeter laying around that you can use, maybe?

She looks awesome! And she's going to be really fast. Contacts look like they're shaping up nicely!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The teeter isn't at full height I believe is why. When it's lower they poke up. I'm confused though because she's had no problem with it at first, and the last couple weeks it's been an issue for her. Such is training!

Oh and scary story from today! A sheltie fell off the dogwalk. Owner happened to be right next to him and caught him. Not so lucky the second time. Exact same spot he slipped before, he fell off and she was a step ahead. He tucked his head and landed on his head/neck/shoulder. Made quite a smack because there are wood boards under the mats. Everyone stopped what they were doing as he was checked out. Didn't need any other commotion. He scuffed his chin a bit but didn't seem to have hurt his neck. They immediately had him do the walk the other way (he is a slow dog, just trots along anyways) and he was fine. Went back the "bad" way and he tried to jump off in the same spot. They worked him for a solid ten minutes with treats and not forcing him to do it, just having him stand there and give him treats, walk back and forth with treats. He ran it once pretty well, though still crouched lower than usual and slowed down more than his already slow pace. Strict orders to watch him closely for signs his neck or back are bothering him. I was so glad he was ok, and also very glad they had him work it so intensively after his slip!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hmm.. I've never seen posts like that on a competition teeter. Do they have another teeter laying around that you can use, maybe?

She looks awesome! And she's going to be really fast. Contacts look like they're shaping up nicely!
I agree. If those are bolts sticking out on the uprights they would be a hugh safety issue to me. Especially when teaching a green dog. It's just a accident waiting to happen. Also ask the sheltie's owner if he/she clips the hair between the pads on the bottoms of her dogs feet. If not that could be the slipping off the dog walk issue because the hair on the bottoms of the feet is like walking on ice. You both are doing great! Love her expression in the photo of the 2o2o.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
The teeter looks like they made it so you could start out with it really low, then gradually raise it up. A good idea if you could figure out how to avoid having the supports stick up higher than the teeter when it is on the low setting.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Our competition teeter can be lowered so that it's flat on the ground, but doesn't have those poles, just a chain at the bottom to control the height.

If this teeter is your only option, you're probably better off setting it to the highest height so that the bars aren't there and then putting a table under the tipping end so that it isn't technically at full height.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whew, after a month off we're back at it!
She spazzed a little at the end (I was stiff today, I think I threw her off) and knocked over the last bar, but otherwise I think we did pretty well! I didn't think she'd do the turn from the tunnel to the walk nearly as well as she did. Proud of my girl!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ukfyoNWtd0

We also learned serpentine/snake jumping. Right to left (away), about to do left to right (towards me), and another away.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Nice! But, if I may make one suggestion - compared to your previous videos, she seems a bit slower. You need to really drive drive drive to the obstacles - like on the jumps after the tunnel in the second video, you're just walking her through them - I wonder what'd happen if you ran!

Throwing the treat out in front of you after completing a sequence can also help.

How is she doing with the teeter?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I admit I was lacking energy today. The household 9 month old baby (my nephew) is VERY loud and likes to scream and "talk" and pound on things at 8am. I'm not a morning person at all so it wears on me. In the second vid I was much more focused on doing the front crosses than hurrying it up and was like meh, we're good, go over the jumps, ok, yay. And then when I clapped for her it startled her. Blah. I'm drained! I'm sure if I'd been running and excited she would have been much quicker and enthusiastic. We've also been biking a bit the last few days, I'll have to remember to lay off for a day or two before class for both our sakes.

We didn't do teeter today, but we did a bit last week and she's over her issue with the black posts that stick up. Still not to full height as she's a bit young.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I admit I was lacking energy today. The household 9 month old baby (my nephew) is VERY loud and likes to scream and "talk" and pound on things at 8am. I'm not a morning person at all so it wears on me. In the second vid I was much more focused on doing the front crosses than hurrying it up and was like meh, we're good, go over the jumps, ok, yay. And then when I clapped for her it startled her. Blah. I'm drained! I'm sure if I'd been running and excited she would have been much quicker and enthusiastic. We've also been biking a bit the last few days, I'll have to remember to lay off for a day or two before class for both our sakes.

We didn't do teeter today, but we did a bit last week and she's over her issue with the black posts that stick up. Still not to full height as she's a bit young.
I know how it is when you just. can't. run. at agility. Last summer I had a horrible, horrible week and I barely had the energy to stand, let alone run! My dog was running laps, and everyone was screaming "RUN!" and I said "I CAN'T!" lol. I made a boo-boo last night and figured Tag knew more distance than he did and did what I always do--slam on the brakes and point at the next obstacle. My dog stops and stares at me. I GOTTA get out of that habit.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Denali did AWESOME today! The extra practice between classes is really helping :D

Coming out of the tunnel she is looking for a treat on the ground. Instructor had tossed one as she was coming out earlier today so she was expecting one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8hTwjPQW3s

In this one, notice right before the top of the A-frame she coughs hard and a treat flies out. She decided inhaling the treat for doing "feet" off the dogwalk was better than swallowing it. She coughed it out, and it was right in her line to finish the last jump which is why she's slow off the A-frame to find it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSic8xASRiY

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I just wanted to comment and say that I really enjoy watching your video's and seeing your progress with Denali. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you! I know it gets a bit repetitive to watch but I'm always so proud of her I can't help but share. :redface:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts