Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally feeding my dog Chicken Soup, which she was doing pretty well on. It was suggested before she needed a grain free food, and I want what is best for my dog. I switched her appropriately to the new food. After being on it for just a few weeks, she began having bad gas. Then she also started "leaking" stuff on the couch(you know, with the fishy anal gland smell). I finished up the bag but it took a month or so.

I switched her back to Chicken Soup since she seemed just fine on that anyway and it's cheaper. Does anyone else have a leakage problem with the grain free foods? Should I try again with a different brand? She had been on crap kibble most of her life, so maybe she just can't handle the higher protein? If she still continues to leak with Chicken Soup she will go to the vet for sure, but so far it's been fine.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Some dogs do get gas from TOTW. Mine don't, but I know some people here have said their dogs get gas. As for "leaking" you might want to check the gland it might need to be cleaned, or it could be from gas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When going from a cheap quality brand food to higher quality rich one you should transition your dogs slowly over a period of 7-10 days. Normally all dog foods mention this on their labels. Also you might want to gradually improve your dog's food by changing brands every month.

For example, if you have been feeding your dog Pedigree (one of the lowest cheap foods at grocery stores... too many fillers) you transition your dog to a better brand like Eagle Pack or Nutro MAX. Once your dog adjusts to that new food you can then upgrade to a higher quality one like Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, Canidae, etc. Once your dogs adjusts then you can finally upgrade to a grain free type of food such as TOTW, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Orijen, EVO, Acana, Castor & Pollux organic, etc. Basically keep upgrading your dog's food every month (or when the dog adjusts to each) until you reach the desired high quality brand that you prefer to keep.

Any 4 or 5 star dog foods should to the job. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/
This website is good reference to finding all about dog nutrition and different types of brands.

If there is a particular type of brand that your pet store doesn't carry you can order online through www.mrchewy.com. Purchases over $49 are free shipping. You can also visit the website for the particular food that you want and usually their home page provides you with a store locator.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her glands seem fine. I figured since she had bad gas on that food and leaked the two were linked together somehow. She needs to go to vet anyways. I should also maybe mention she is like 11 years old.

And Carlos you missed the part where I said I switched her appropriately, in fact it took almost 2 weeks. She had been on Chicken Soup for almost half a year (after switching from Canidae) before I tried TOTW. The transition wasn't the problem. I know all about dogfoodadvisor and which foods don't suck, she stopped getting crap food about 3 years ago. But thanks for the info! :p

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You know what? If she's 11 years old and doing fine on Chicken Soup, then I don't think you should worry about grain free or not. Chicken Soup is one of the better cost-effective grain-inclusive foods. I think it would be perfectly fine to leave well enough alone in this case. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
For example, if you have been feeding your dog Pedigree (one of the lowest cheap foods at grocery stores... too many fillers) you transition your dog to a better brand like Eagle Pack or Nutro MAX. Once your dog adjusts to that new food you can then upgrade to a higher quality one like Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, Canidae, etc. Once your dogs adjusts then you can finally upgrade to a grain free type of food such as TOTW, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Orijen, EVO, Acana, Castor & Pollux organic, etc. Basically keep upgrading your dog's food every month (or when the dog adjusts to each) until you reach the desired high quality brand that you prefer to keep.
I did this with Sydney basically by accident and it worked out perfectly. When I first had her I could not swallow the cost of most of the better foods, nor did I know where to find them. So we went from a store brand generic of Beneful, to Purina One, to Nutrish, to Whole Earth Farms, to Rotations, to Taste of the Wild, to Earthborn and now to a combination of raw and Ziwipeak. She's never had more than the most minor case of loose stools in the entire 3 years I've had her.

Personally, I would switch your dog back to Chicken Soup. I think it's better to keep your dog on a food they thrive on, than what is considered the best, ingredient-wise. And Chicken Soup is certainly not a bad food to begin with.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi....I fed my dog TOTW & didn't have any problems - but when the company had the recalls once too many times I switched. One of the bags I was feeding him was part of the recall so I had no choice but to switch him cold turkey - I switched to Earthborn & threw the TOTW away. He's doing fine & had no problem with the cold turkey switch :) I now rotate between Earthborn & Go, both grain-free foods & he's doing great! :)

Here are the websites if you would like to research them...

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/

http://www.petcurean.com/for-dogs/go/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts