Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy Missy is approx. 3 months old and a total mixer (I have no idea what's in her, picked her up off the street here in Papua New Guinea). When she is fast asleep, she "drips", urinating in small drops like a leaking tap. Now, I'm not sure if this a puppy thing, or if there is something wrong. She is my 3rd dog and I cannot recall the others having done this, but they were puppies 14 years ago, so I just can't remember.
She has been wormed twice now, is otherwise a very happy and healthy dog, eats well etc. Again, she is a street dog, she was probably 4 - 6 weeks old when I found her in town, roaming by herself.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Ange

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It can be multiple things, UTI comes to mind but there can also be other serious health issues going on with Missy. You had her de-wormed so I'm assuming she had blood work done as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live on a small island in Papua New Guinea and we don't have a vet in town. We try and treat our animals the best we can without proper medical help. Luckily, so far, all has been good and we've not needed any outside help. We get a vet coming once a year from Australia. Missy has not had a blood test done, due to no vet and no way of having it done anywhere else in the country. I'm still waiting for a result for a blood test done on me in November last year! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
we just had this problem with our puppy who is 11 mo. old, we had all the lab work done and urine tests etc. and everything came back perfect. He had been drinking a LOT of water so the vet thought diabetes, UTI, SIADH, you name it. Everything came back clean, so we picked up his water dish after his supper meal and don't fill it quite as much during the day and he's stopped. How long has your puppy been doing this? I don't know if it was a phase or what- our vet mentioned OCD, i don't know about that, but good luck! must be tricky without vets/dr's!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Moose08. She actually does drink a lot! We live in a tropical and quite humid climate, but still, compared to our other dogs we've had or still have, she drinks noticeably more. It could indeed be that her bladder is very full and when she is fast asleep (you know what pups are like, out cold after running around driving you crazy) she doesn't realise that she needs to go to the toilet. Good to hear that your puppy is all good and healthy!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
well, as they mentioned - it's very hard to say without a vet being present. I have a diabetic adult dog and our first sign was increase in thirst. He ended up loosing a lot of weight after he was diagnosed but he too had leakage when he was asleep. Best of luck, don't know what else to tell you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help! With a bit of luck, we'll have a vet coming up from Australia in June, I will ask him to bring a diabetes test kit with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts