Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a large 75lb dog that poops human size waste 馃槂 Consequently, our lawn gets gross even when i pickup right away.

Is there something i can apply to disinfect/kill the smell?

Things I've tried
  1. Training him to use the corner as a bathroom. Working on this! But not holding my breath because he's stubborn
  2. Deep water the lawn with the sprinklers. Works but is expensive. Where i live water is pricey
  3. Hosing down affected areas. Doesn't help with the smell
Update: a really ancient post suggested something called "Sweet PDZ", which I'm gonna try out today. It's safe for pets, people, and the environment.

Update2: as per commentors below, a main culprit is pee, not so much the poo itself.

Update3: so far the Sweet PDZ hasn't been helping. The reason is because he's using literally the entire yard as his bathroom. So that'll have to change :)

Registered
Have you taken a good look at what you're feeding him & analyzing if it's the best food for his system? If you're out there, picking up the poop right after he goes, there should be no lingering 'after smell'. Urine - well, yeah. That soaks in & can leave a bit of unpleasant odor, but poop? Nope. Not if it's 'normal' output. (I have an IBD dog, so I understand what can happen with NOT normal output!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you taken a good look at what you're feeding him & analyzing if it's the best food for his system? If you're out there, picking up the poop right after he goes, there should be no lingering 'after smell'. Urine - well, yeah. That soaks in & can leave a bit of unpleasant odor, but poop? Nope. Not if it's 'normal' output. (I have an IBD dog, so I understand what can happen with NOT normal output!)
You're not getting it my dude :) When our son was a baby, and we gave him the equivalent of baby gold food (that is, the "best" food), his diapers still smelled like well...soiled diapers. And consequently, we still had to store his diapers in a sealed container until garbage day. I'm having the same problem with our dog---yes, he's eating well but we don't want our lawn to smell like a bathroom.

Super Moderator
There are numerous commercial disinfectant or odor eliminating sprays you can try. Google "Lawn odor eliminator" and numerous options come up. I can't attest to their effectiveness.

Registered
You're not getting it my dude :) When our son was a baby, and we gave him the equivalent of baby gold food (that is, the "best" food), his diapers still smelled like well...soiled diapers. And consequently, we still had to store his diapers in a sealed container until garbage day. I'm having the same problem with our dog---yes, he's eating well but we don't want our lawn to smell like a bathroom.
Yes, the poop will smell like, well.... poop. Your son's diaper's 'storage container' smelling bad was one thing. Unless you're storing your dog's 'diaper output' on the lawn, well then - there's no reason for the entire lawn to smell like.... poop.

I have a small, metal 'garbage' can that we put all the picked up dog 'waste' bags into. We refer to it as Sam (Poo-Can Sam, if you want to get technical... LOL) When I take the lid off to put in new bags - YIKES! the stink is very real! But, in between times, it's no big deal. Once poop is picked up, consolidated & stored - you (again I repeat) should not be dealing with major stink.

If your noses are just super sensitive to dog poop smell? Well, then, maybe you need to rethink owning a dog, because quite frankly.... poop happens. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔

Registered
I agree with this. A quality food doesn't have a lot of fillers, which will result less poop because more is being utilized.
If you feel your food is a quality good, yet your dog still had large poops, I would have a complete health exam done.
I had 3 - 70lb dogs and their poops weren't that large or smelly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are numerous commercial disinfectant or odor eliminating sprays you can try. Google "Lawn odor eliminator" and numerous options come up. I can't attest to their effectiveness.
I can do that as well. The point of this post was to get recommendations on products people have actually used.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the poop will smell like, well.... poop. Your son's diaper's 'storage container' smelling bad was one thing. Unless you're storing your dog's 'diaper output' on the lawn, well then - there's no reason for the entire lawn to smell like.... poop.

I have a small, metal 'garbage' can that we put all the picked up dog 'waste' bags into. We refer to it as Sam (Poo-Can Sam, if you want to get technical... LOL) When I take the lid off to put in new bags - YIKES! the stink is very real! But, in between times, it's no big deal. Once poop is picked up, consolidated & stored - you (again I repeat) should not be dealing with major stink.

If your noses are just super sensitive to dog poop smell? Well, then, maybe you need to rethink owning a dog, because quite frankly.... poop happens. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔
I don't even know where to begin the reply :) :) Let's just say I hope you live in a really large property where your neighbors are really far away from you :) :)

I'm sure there are techniques to minimize the smell... for example, getting the dog to use the same area as the bathroom.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with this. A quality food doesn't have a lot of fillers, which will result less poop because more is being utilized.
If you feel your food is a quality good, yet your dog still had large poops, I would have a complete health exam done.
I had 3 - 70lb dogs and their poops weren't that large or smelly.
Oh really? I mean he has a huge appetite so is probably over eating... at times. But yea we'll switch out his food to see if it makes a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts