Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
FB, i thought it was way to early for my Lacey at 10 (i had her PTS for the same reasons except for the elimination problem) but at 5....wow, i don't know if i could have when she was that young....

i'm so sorry for your losing him, he did look like such a gentleman....Godspeed...the arthritis and just all that pain sure ages them, don't it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im so sorry for you. You could see that he had so much love. He is a very beautiful dog! I am sorry for you lose. You are in my prayers! God bless

·
Registered
442 Posts
I bet he was a great companion , you can just tell by his pictures . Really sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
926 Posts
Beautiful pictures. I think of you on/off today as I know how tough your day was. Very similar to what I went through with Jake, although it was 1.5 years ago. I too took some pictures of my last few hours with him, and your first picture reminds me of the look on Jakes face. My hubby can't look at the pictures, but I just wanted to remember the final time with my bud. To a healing heart - hugs!
Maureen

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh my FilleBelle, I'm in tears. What a beautiful photo layout of his last days on this earth. My heart goes out to you. Big Time hugs! Beautiful Gentleman!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
FB, i thought it was way to early for my Lacey at 10 (i had her PTS for the same reasons except for the elimination problem) but at 5....wow, i don't know if i could have when she was that young....

i'm so sorry for your losing him, he did look like such a gentleman....Godspeed...the arthritis and just all that pain sure ages them, don't it?
He was most definitely too young. I think the big problem with the HD/arthritis was that he was abandoned by his family when it was first diagnosed and he spent a decent amount of time on the concrete floor of a shelter kennel. I suspect that, if the condition had been treated immediately, he would have fully recovered. Instead, by the time he got to someone who was willing to treat, it had progressed so far that there was nothing to be done for it.

I do have to say that five years is a guess provided by the vet based on an examination of his teeth and eyes. Said vet proclaimed those teeth and eyes clear and healthy and his heart very strong. He had some life left in him, I think...it just would have been a terribly painful and undignified one.

Tir and AlaskaDals, he was a gentleman! He had some hound in him and his demeanor was all Southern-hospitality.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What a wonderful tribute to a great dog! I had to have my 19 year old Boston Terrier put down 2 years ago and it still hurts to think about him. Just like Clifford's mommy, I had to do the right thing for him. He gave us so many years of love and devotion. We still have our memories of that wonderful little dog. We now have a 14 month old Boston and although he's a handful sometimes, we still love him LOL I'm new to this forum and I look forward to being part of this community~~ Dee

·
Registered
981 Posts
A nineteen year old dog? How lucky. Mine have never made it past thirteen.

I will have to read or maybe it isn't there but did you bring his body home? We did and I have a spot that is special. I still talk to my deceased dog. Sounds dumb? Oh well. Noone can see me.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Clifford is being cremated and the ashes scattered at my parents' house. The back corner of their yard contains both our last dog and my cat, but we just couldn't imagine digging a grave large enough for Clifford in the backyard. It's actually illegal to do so in our city, as well, so ashes will suffice.

I don't actually have a particular attachment to physical remains. I prefer to remember (and talk to!) pictures and mementos like collars and dinner bowls.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I just could not stand the idea of her going to the place where all deceased dogs go. We didn't want to pay for her to be cremated either. Fortunately she wasn't a big dog. Pictures are good to have around for a while. At least we kept her picture out for a year or so until we changed furniture and such.

Good luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Snggles, No we didn't bring his body home. We had him cremated and spread his ashes at a beautiful spot next to a nearby lake. I still talk to his picture all the time though so you're not along on that point :eek:)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know it takes a while to get over it. It has been over three years and I still say something to her once in a while. LOL

21 - 35 of 35 Posts