Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been posting about a food for my lab/shepherd puppy and now I'm wondering about a large breed formula. When did you all start your puppy on a large breed formula? My boy is 4 months and approximately 20 pounds. I was told by a vet (that I no longer use) to wait a few months to see how he grows to determine if large breed formula is necessary since he may only top out around 60 pounds. I've never had a large dog so I'm not sure if this is necessary at all. Since I'm having such difficulty finding a food he really likes, I'm wondering if I should be taking this into consideration right now as well. I don't want to find a food he really likes and then have to switch it again. I just started him on simply nourish yesterday (mixing with totw) and he seemed to like it but they don't have a large puppy food. Any suggestions for me? Thanks!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
If he is only about 20lbs at 4 months (my pup is 56 lbs at 5 months) I don t know if I would worry about large breed puppy-- I had mine on Solid GOld Wolf King with the adult dogs for a month but he got too ribby (the adult brand has lower protein ) so hes back on Large breed puppy WOlf Cub Solid Gold (same formula just higher protein)-- before that they were ALL on Solid Gold Weebit-- again, same formula...teeny kibbles (my 12 yearold has a hard time chewing) and its ALL LIFE STAGES you just feed different amounts (its highest protein) depending on the dog-- its a bit more expensive and comes in a smaller bag not practical for a three dog family...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts