Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nope. Newfies and Leonbergers are both very, very friendly and people loving dogs. Newfies were bred to work with and rescue people. Leons were bred soley for companionship. There isn't a guardian like bone in either one of those breeds. Yes, size still means training and responsibility but NOTHING like one of the guardians.
I was just trying to emphasize that i think she made the right choice. And she said she would prefer less hair, so the Great Dane.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
My family and I are thinking ahead to our next dog. I have a couple of breeds in mind, and I was hoping that the posters here could give me some breeds I haven't thought of.

I have 4 kids, so being very friendly is a must. I want a large or giant breed because my husband works nights a lot, and I would feel safer with a big dog in the house. I do not want a protective breed at all, the dog should be intimidating by size alone. I also want to stay away from breeds commonly considered aggressive, even though I know they may not be. I would also prefer one that is not a massive drooler. So, a steady calm temperament, a great love of kids and very friendly to all, and a larger size. Healthy would be great, too, but I realize the larger breeds don't live as long.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend a Leonberger I got mine a year ago and he is an amazing dog he doesn't drool and is super gentle with the kids but he is a heavy shedder and I need to brush him every day but other than that he is great.\

·
Registered
3 Posts
This has been very helpful!

We don't need a "giant" breed per se, just a large or giant. It seems like the giants have more of the personality I'm looking for. It would be nice if they were a bit smaller. Our last large dog was 80lbs, and he was a good size. But I'm OK with a giant, too. Shedding doesn't bother me, but massive drool does.

I don't have anything against so called aggressive breeds. Our last large dog was a GSD and he was with us until he was 12. It's just that traveling with him got to be hard, because even if a hotel accepted pets, they did not accept the "aggressive" breeds. When we would walk him, most people were OK, but more often than I would like we would have people completely flipping out just because they saw him. He was always well behaved. Rental companies and insurance got to be a pain. And some parents wouldn't let their kids come over to play once they found we had a GSD. We ended up just putting him in his kennel when people came over. I have a great love of the breed, and will probably get another one once my kids are grown, but unfortunately they have a bad reputation. But for now we're looking for a very sweet gentle dog, but a larger size to deter any possible break ins.

I have been wondering about borzoi, but once I saw the well behaved kids, part, I guess that excludes us! Are they aloof with family? My kids actually are well behaved, but they want a dog they can love all over all the time.

That's good to hear! I have seen a breeder nearby who seems to be very reputable, and breeding only to improve the health of the breed. Great Danes are easier to find than Leos, but I have been worried about their health.

So, I guess I'm kind of still at square one. Leo or Great Dane? We can't have both. What do you guys think? We're a rambunctious family, love to go to the beach, love to go swimming in our pool, and have people over. I'm an at home mom so the dogs are rarely alone. Which one?

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.