Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are thinking ahead to our next dog. I have a couple of breeds in mind, and I was hoping that the posters here could give me some breeds I haven't thought of.

I have 4 kids, so being very friendly is a must. I want a large or giant breed because my husband works nights a lot, and I would feel safer with a big dog in the house. I do not want a protective breed at all, the dog should be intimidating by size alone. I also want to stay away from breeds commonly considered aggressive, even though I know they may not be. I would also prefer one that is not a massive drooler. So, a steady calm temperament, a great love of kids and very friendly to all, and a larger size. Healthy would be great, too, but I realize the larger breeds don't live as long.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Leonberger, or Newfie.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Great Dane. They are nice, gentle dogs. Just be aware, while you can expect to get 15 years out of a beagle, 7-8 years is normal for giant breeds, 10 if you're lucky.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
if you don't mind slobber and hair, I second the Newfoundland dog, they are usually bomb proof and awesome with kids. Their most common colour is black too so you'd end up with a giant black dog, that if trained right would probably be awesome with kids.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Newfies are pretty great dogs. Not big droolers but I expect they do some. They can also be very intimidating, being black, very large, and their bark is very deep.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
never lived with one but I second the Leonberger the coloring in the face adds to a foreboding appearance
Yeah, it really does. Reminds a lot of people of shepherds or COs and that makes them instinctively wary. Meanwhile they're bred to be companions and are just super sweet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone. This thread has confirmed the two breeds I am trying to decide between, a leonberger or Great Dane.

I think the Leo is at the top if the list, but I am concerned about finding a breeder as they are less common. I would ideally like to pick out the puppy in person. The last dog we got the owner flew to us, but there was only one dog in the litter. Any tips on finding a Leo breeder?

What about Great Danes for families? I gather they are super sweet.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well if you would look into a Leonberger at least give the Bernese Mt dog a glance-- such a beautiful dog and quite large(our 22month old is 115 lbs of Love my daughter calls him Babycakes) and that Bark just resounds, ours is quite the watch dog, on patrol every night....

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Well if you would look into a Leonberger at least give the Bernese Mt dog a glance-- such a beautiful dog and quite large(our 22month old is 115 lbs of Love my daughter calls him Babycakes) and that Bark just resounds, ours is quite the watch dog, on patrol every night....
I have to say, I don't think Berners are half as intimidating as Danes or Leons. They just look too darn sweet

·
Registered
852 Posts
I second the Bernese Mountain Dog. When Tula barks there is no doubt that she is a large dog (100 lbs).

The breeder I went to for my Berner also bred Leos. I told her what I was looking for (which was very similar to your criteria) and that it was a toss up between the two and she recommended the Berner.

My Berner goes to the kids school for: show-n-tell, during animal units in science, the school parade or if the teacher asks. Most Berners love kids and can range from loves the family and semi aloof with strangers to dragging people into the house if they happen to be strolling by. Tula loves everyone she meets and she will bark if someone comes to the door but if they just walk in she melts at their feet.

·
Registered
619 Posts
A really good breeder will probably do more of the picking for you than you doing it yourself. They've been with the pups daily and can tell you which one would best suit your living arrangements. So if you do find one that places the puppies and doesn't just do a 'first come first served' placement, it's not a bad thing. It's good. :)

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I love Berners, but I can't in good conscience recommend them to most people because of the low lifespan (average is 6-8 years, compared to 10-11 years for most dogs of similar size) and high incidence of cancer. I know a good Berner show breeder who had to dissolve her breeding program and start all over when her dogs developed issues.

Cancer presents great challenges to breeders in genetic selection and a greater challenge for dog owners. In Bernese, some forms of cancer are thought to have a genetic basis. Histiocytic Sarcoma has been shown to be inherited. How cancers are inherited is not known, although a polygenic mode of inheritance is suspected. In the 2005 BMDCA Health Study, 67% of all dogs that died succumbed to some form of cancer.
http://www.bmdca.org/health/diseases.php

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
2+ on the Leonbergers. They do look more intimidating than the Berners and generally have very sweet dispositions.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bernese mountain dogs have a plethora of health issues.

- Tibetan mastiff , they are beyond loving and protective of the family, but aloof with strangers, a little trickier to train but they also are probably one of the healthiest of the mega big breeds

- giant Alaskan malamute, slightly smaller and easier to train than TMs but more common health issues

- leonberger, smaller, easier to train, and not known to be aggressive.

- Rottweiler, very intelligent, commonly thought to be aggressive but they are stunning family dogs, and even though they are smaller than the others, they are more commonly though of as guard dogs, also smaller means less food and vet costs.

- greater swiss mountain dog, easy to train, short haired, large size

- Great Pyrenees, basically like a Tibetan mastiff but white and bigger

- Pyrenean mastiff, like if a Great Pyrenees was crossed with a polar bear, these things are massive, like biggest breed I've ever seen

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I second the vote for Leonberger, if drool is a big issue. If not, Newfoundlands are usually amazing with kids. Saint Bernards can be very good with kids if they are bred and socialized correctly. Bernese Mountain Dogs are also sweethearts, but again, as with all these breeds, you need a great breeder to void temperament and health issues.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Bernese mountain dogs have a plethora of health issues.

- Tibetan mastiff , they are beyond loving and protective of the family, but aloof with strangers, a little trickier to train but they also are probably one of the healthiest of the mega big breeds

- giant Alaskan malamute, slightly smaller and easier to train than TMs but more common health issues

- leonberger, smaller, easier to train, and not known to be aggressive.

- Rottweiler, very intelligent, commonly thought to be aggressive but they are stunning family dogs, and even though they are smaller than the others, they are more commonly though of as guard dogs, also smaller means less food and vet costs.

- greater swiss mountain dog, easy to train, short haired, large size

- Great Pyrenees, basically like a Tibetan mastiff but white and bigger

- Pyrenean mastiff, like if a Great Pyrenees was crossed with a polar bear, these things are massive, like biggest breed I've ever seen

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
"giant" Mals are a BYB ploy, which is why they have so many health issues. Going to recommend against something you can only get from an irresponsible breeder.
Tibetan Mastiffs are not something I would recommend for a casual owner.

A rotty could be a good idea, but OP asked against dogs which are commonly considered aggressive (if OP means by rumor and not fact)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.