Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

A few weeks ago I picked up my borzoi puppy, and immediately realized I had no idea what to feed him. I grew up with hounds, but wasn't in charge of food, and have a gh of my own, but he is a retired racer. So... point is, I obviously had no idea what to feed.

My mother suggested Innova Large Breed Puppy, as that is what she fed "the puppies" (who are now nearly 4) when she first got them, both of which are now performance dogs and they grew just fine (I'm planning on lure coursing with him in the future and would hate for the food I fed him as a puppy to mess with his bones as an adult). Off I went to buy some Innova. Problem is, turns out my puppy is a picky one.

Right now I'm attempting to finish off the Innova with him, and have mixed in some Simply Nourish Puppy to get him to eat it. I'm concerned, however, because this isn't a large breed specific food, AND it is PetsMart exclusive. (I hate myself a little for buying it.)

I feed Fromm to my other dogs, but I'm not completely sold on an ALS food for a puppy, so I've held off feeding him that.

Any suggestions as too some good, quality large breed puppy food would be appreciated... or whatever else you want to throw out there!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I personally think feeding a good ALS food will be just as good as a large breed puppy formula. Fromm is a good brand, if I were in your shoes I would try him on it and see how he does.

If you really want a Large Breed puppy formula you could try Orijen or Acana.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree an ALS food is good! Fromm also has a LBP Food...don't know if it's available to you but they do have it. Orijen or Acana is a good choice also. TOTW has two good Puppy formulas that are ok for a LBP. That's what I fed my Rottie pup from the get go and she's done great on it!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...

I've kept him from the Fromm because, like I said, I'm not too sold on the idea that a food that is good for my 5 year old dog is just as good for a growing puppy who will weigh in at around 100 pounds (about 75 pounds bigger than Deebs). Maybe I'm crazy. :) I'll have to do some more research.

Orijen and Acana aren't readily available to me (closest would be 4 hours), but I have heard it is good... I will have to check with my supplier of Fromm to see if she can get me their LBP formula, if not, looks like a trip to the Co-Op might be in order!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feed my GSD pup Wellness and Innova LBP. I also mix in a bit of one of the Wellness canned stews or one of the Merrick foods. You can always try mixing in a spoonful of a can as a topper. I never have a problem with her eating and she loves the variety.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Just check the calcium levels in whatever you'd like to feed- a large breed puppy shouldn't get more than 1.5-1.7% max calcium in their food or their bones will grow faster than you'd like. You can find these levels in some lbp foods, and some adult foods, but not in all of either category oddly enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts