Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dearest granny lives over in china and bought a Papillon pup. Thing is, the dog will be imported to where I am next year June and we all speak English here. I'm a little worried about communication barriers. Since nan talks to him and trains him in Chinese, would it be hard for the dog to settle in to an English environment?

I worry about difficulties in getting the dog to listen to commands in English. Is this legitimate cause for worry?

Also, because I will only meet the dog when it is about two years old (he is only two months old now), would it have difficulty bonding with me, since I wasn't with him for most of his "puppyhood".

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I worry about difficulties in getting the dog to listen to commands in English. Is this legitimate cause for worry?
Also, because I will only meet the dog when it is about two years old (he is only two months old now), would it have difficulty bonding with me, since I wasn't with him for most of his "puppyhood".
The adjustment from China living to living in the states will also be a big change in life but both you and dog will survive, let common sense and patience be your guide. Please do not rush him into a dog training program let him chill awhile in his new home. Slower is better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't have any advice about the language barrier, but I adopted my older dog when he was a few months shy of three, and we had zero problems bonding. Just be patient and spend lots of time together!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think Papillon's speak French, anyway. ;-)

You can hand feed, walk and train/teach with your dog to bond. It shouldn't be a problem.

Dearest granny lives over in china and bought a Papillon pup. Thing is, the dog will be imported to where I am next year June and we all speak English here. I'm a little worried about communication barriers. Since nan talks to him and trains him in Chinese, would it be hard for the dog to settle in to an English environment?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Or ... you could ask Granny for the pups commands in Chinese and learn to speak them before the pup gets there? Just a thought! :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a papillon pup and I use a verbal commands and hand signals. Dex always watches my hands and it's getting to the point now, where he will respond to just the hand signal. I would suggest asking your Nan to use universal hand signals as well as verbal commands. Pick the hand signals you want and explain to her, or send her pics of what you want her to teach him. If she is consistant, then he will be trained by hand signals, so when you get him, you can use the same hand signals and say the english command. He will learn english over time and be a bilingual pappy pup!

As for bonding, male paps are big time cuddlers and they love all of their people, but they bond closely with one person. He will bond strongly with your Nan, but when he comes here, you need to do things to transfer that bond to you. Playing fetch, throwing his ball, playing with his toys with him, hand feeding him and just keeping him with you most of the time will help to establish that bond. Paps are an amazing breed! :)

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I once trained a Fox Terrier in English and the owners only spoke Chinese. It did not seem to take the dog long to learn the commands in Chinese and Papillons are pretty smart.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I changed one of Mia's trick 'commands' a couple weeks ago to be more showy and she picked up on the new word in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
As Abbylynn suggested, do you speak Chinese? It is very easy to teach a dog multiple languages, once he understands one language. Even if you don't know Chinese, he's already learned the hard part, that words are linked to behaviors, so all you'll have to do is to train him like a puppy, getting him to perform the behavior, while you tell him the English cue word.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Dogs don't really understand any language naturally, whether it's English or Chinese. They just make associations between the words they hear and the actions that they perform to earn the rewards. You will need to start over at the beginning to build these associations with the English words, but I bet everything comes quicker the second time, since the dog already successfully performs the actions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts