Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog is sick. Last night my sister called me and told me he had not eaten all day and was refusing even his favorite treats. In talking to her and my dad we also found out that he had vomited several times. One pile consisted of chewed up blanket pieces. The fact that he chewed up a blanket is worrisome in itself as he is not a chewer at all. Not even really with toys. They said he was also really mopey and in general not himself. My sister sat on the floor and he reluctantly laid down next to her. That may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but it is not Landen. He will sit on your lap every time (he is 65 pounds...). He was feeling so ill that his tail uncurled!

Anyway, I called this morning and he was still not eating and there was a pile of bile that he had thrown up. He is now at the vet. When my dad took him in, he was sniffing around but very subdued. I work for the vet so he knows my dogs. He said Landen must be sick because he was not acting like the crazy lunatic that he normally is when he goes to the vet.

I am so worried about my boy. I keep telling myself that he will be fine and that he is in good hands. It is so hard, though, because I am 100 miles away and I can't help my baby feel better...

UPDATE: Landen is having surgery tomorrow. They did a barium series and after 4 hours nothing had moved out of his stomach. He is on an IV and they will open him up tomorrow and see what is in his belly.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
craven - I'm sorry. He has blockage obviously, i'm sure he'll be alright after surgery. How old is he?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He will be 4 in August. Funny side note, he has 2 brothers still in foster care (he was born in the shelter, his sister just recently got adopted!) and their petfinder pages say that they are 2... funny to me, may not be so funny to someone who adopts them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Craven, please keep us informed on Landen's condition. We all love our babies and we are all concerned about other people's babies too!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to the vet this morning, surgery went well. He was blocked with bits of towel, his stomach was full of gas (like really full) and hair, his mucosal lining of his stomach was "nasty", and his intestines were just starting to turn black. He threw up after surgery (normal) and is up and awake. They say he is doing well but not out of the woods yet. The potential necrosis is what really scares me, hopefully we caught it early enough and he will be fine. Thanks for all of your support and well wishes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Landen is still well, but I have a few questions. Is there anything that could cause a dog to suddenly start eating things he shouldn't? It is so unlike him, and they said he tried to eat a towel at the vet, too. Also, Mia, my other dog, is not happy. She is not eating well and is moping around. We think it is just because Landen is gone. Is this normal? Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts