Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that those of you who live in WI near Lake Winnebago could only answer this question!

It's lake fly time and this year is going to be heavy which is great for the sturgeon but is it safe for my dogs to be eating the lake flies? We are half a mile away so they can't eat great heaps of them but they can eat quite a few.

Should I look at it as extra protein and not fret or could it be a problem?

For the curious. Lake Flies like ours only occur on two lakes in the world. They are harmless but when they hatch they cover houses completely.

Here is what they look like and some info about them. There can be trillions of them!

http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/...e+flies+begin+to+appear+around+Lake+Winnebago

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
ack! I hate lake flies! but luckly I live 25 minutes from Lake Winnibago so the flies don't make it this far. I have no clue weather they would be a problem for your dog

·
Registered
962 Posts
I am very curious, are you talking May Flys, the ones with the long delicate wings, and long slender body, I tie flies for fly fishing and this is a very popular pattern. I feed them to my fish, also they are high in protein. We have them heavy in Watertown SD, on Lake Kampeska. A beautiful large lake!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have googled but can't find the info I want on them. Winnebago Lake Fly.
They look like big mosquitoes, are gray rather than black. They mass makes a humming sound. They do not bite or eat and only live a day or so then a new hatch emerges from the lake. They are critical to the sturgeon.

They are not May Flies but they do come in May and again in August for about 10 days each time.

Maybe someone from the area knows the facts. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts