Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes Snowball is such a great on-leash walker, and then other times he is awful. He doesn't pull forward, which I suppose is good, but in new areas especially, he obsess over smells - he will repeatedly walk past me a few steps and then turn around again and stop to sniff something, or he will walk. super. slow. so. he. can. smell. all. the. things.

If he turns around and stops to smell one particular spot, and I ask him to leave it, most of the time he will, so that's okay, but it is annoying that he just randomly turns around and comes to a dead stop. It is also SUPER annoying when he decides that he's tracking something and walks super slow with his nose on the ground. When he does this, he totally ignores me - even shoving treats under his nose (a trick that was suggested to me by a trainer trying to teach us LLW) doesn't get his attention, and I usually end up either picking him up and carrying him a few meters or literally dragging him down the sidewalk.

Any ideas on how to work on these two issues would be great. I'm kind of at a loss.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
A couple of ideas.

First issue. If he stops and obsesses over one spot in particular, take that spot. I mean, physically, take THAT spot. Stand on it. And the very moment your dog looks up or away, click, and then treat while you move on.

Second issue. I would only use this as a last resort, but you could try putting a very miniscule dab of Vicks Vaporub or similar on the end of his nose before you commence walking through those tempting areas. Only do this for as long as required to set a new standard of behavior.

Both of these ideas are just off the top of my head, because it's difficult to advise without seeing it happen. However, with either issue, and perhaps most importantly, I would also greatly increase the rate of reinforcement at least for a while. Treat at or near your side every few steps or so, if that what it takes during the first few outings. Then begin to switch to a lower maintenance schedule. The best defense against a distracting environment is to make yourself more interesting somehow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts