Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what it is about her, but wow she has a doggy smell. She likes to play in the mud in the yard too, but that's not where this smell comes in.

I've been using oatmeal shampoo (it's for dogs, I think it's made by 4 paws) and some deordorant shampoo I got at Petco (Nova something or another), but this smell won't go away? Any ideas what else I could wash stinky in so she doesn't smell so gross? Both of those were suggested by the groomers at Petco.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if none of the other shampoos are working i would try a skunk shampoo... not that she has been skunked but it should help with the odor. hope that helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you take her to get groomed? if not then call the representatives at Groomers Choice and ask them about a really good shampoo for stinkiness. they have a really nice introductory shampoo package, you get 5 different shampoos for 15$ and they all REALLY REALLY work...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
AC, is the smell coming through her pores? Or is it possibly her anal glands?

I'm not sure what you're feeding her (and I know you know this) but sometimes food can cause them to emit an odor. A food change will usually correct the problem.

If it's anal glands, maybe they need to be expressed.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy always had a strong odor until she started eating home cooked food. Her special perfume has been reduced by maybe 75%, present but not so noticeable. I suspect the rendered fat in kibble disagreed with her system for some reason. On the other hand Max has always smelled of dust not dog and was on exactly the same food. SHE is allergic, he isn't - another possibility. Oh, her anal sacs always bothered her, now they don't. Hummm. Bet it is all connected somehow.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Is she itchy?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She does seem a little itchy, hence the oatmeal shampoo. She's on a good food already but we might be looking at a protein switch (it's currently chicken based) to lamb - not sure yet though.

It's not a "omg nasty anal gland" smell, it's just doggy. Like wet dog. Probably doesn't help that she plays in the mud every chance she gets. Not fishy smelling, and it's pretty much all over that she smells.

I haven't taken her to the groomer yet, she's none too cool with strangers so I think it's better I bathe her for now.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
EQyss Micro-Tek Shampoo is great odor control for stinky dogs.
I agree. This is a terrific shampoo and it will help with the itch also. Changing to a novel protein may also help. Maybe a fish based one since lamb seems to be used quite a bit now (plus there will be omega three's in the food.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts