Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been doing some research into these two breeds and the one thing I've noticed is that they're so similar. As someone who is interested in one day owning a Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever, I would greatly appreciate if someone could go in depth about your experiences with these breeds and if you've noticed any differences (even minor ones).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It depends on the lines. If you go with field trial lines you have a whole lot more dog than with conformation and obedience dogs.

As to basic differences, one is used more for upland shooting (Golden) and the other for water retrieves (Lab). Of course, their coats are very different.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here's one good article. Golden Retriever vs. Labrador Retriever [16 Factors To Help You Choose] – Golden Hearts

As far as temperament, it very much depends on the individual dog. Both are typically very loving and high-energy, but some might be more reserved or laid-back.
If you have your heart set on finding a puppy from a breeder, your best bet is to talk with the breeder, and, if possible, meet the dog. However, since there are so many different rescues, I would encourage you to look for a lab or golden at your local rescues or SPCA, where you might find an owner surrender. There are also many breed-specific rescues where you could find a puppy, young, or adult dog. While it probably wouldn't have purebred papers, it could still be registered as a purebred, such as under the AKC PAL program. With a rescue you could meet the dog, and if it was older, you would have an even better idea of its personality. I would always recommend a rescue, even for those getting a puppy, because there are SO MANY great dogs in rescues who deserve a chance just as much as any breeder puppy.
Hope this helps, and good luck in your search!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts