Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here, (will post introduction shortly)

I have a 4 yr old lab and 10 months ago we came down one morning to find he didnt come and greet us as he normally did, He couldnt stand he could push himself up to sitting but could get no further, I tried to tempt him with breakfast and he manages to get up and walk a few steps, We took him to the vets and by the time we got there he was hobbling but back up on his feet, She said it was "lower lumber pain" gave him some steriods and painkillers. Later that day he was back to himself and jumping round like a loon.
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, we went to bed as normal got up in the morning and agan no greeting from our lab .. he didnt even attempt to get up he sat for his breakfast but couldnt get up to go out to the garden, I rang the vets and this time we had to carry him on his blanket because he just couldnt get up ...
Vet again said lower lumber pain, Reflexes were fine, she did manage to get him to stand but he really didnt want to.

She asked about hip scoring (his parents were low.. and we didnt score him as we had him neutered)
anyway she said about Xrays, Mri asked if he was insured which he is .. and then said it was worrying as hes only 4. We got back from the vets and that tea time he was walking around as normal again.

Has anyone experianced anything similar?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi piratess! Welcome to the forum! I haven't experienced this as my dogs are both quite young, but my suggestion is to get a second, third or fourth opinion of vets who even specialize in back problems in dogs - if your insurance will cover it :) I find even with human doctors, it's always good to make sure you get a variety of expertise on it, so you can ensure you're not ruling out anything else

Good luck and i hope your dog stays well :(

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Get the X rays of his lower back and hips, it could be either one, especaily if one of his parents had Hip Dysplacia. He's young so there's plenty that can be done.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Where are you? This doesn't sound like a typical mechanical problem (to be ruled out by X-ray & MRI), but a recurring nerve problem, or possibly something from an infection. We don't have much lyme disease in my area, but you might ask the Vet if the symptoms could be something that he could get from a tick or mosquito ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts