Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I MEANT "JOWLS", NOT "JAWS"

Here is what I wrote on another forum of mine but I can't seem to get an answer from there yet so I'm trying here:

I was just outside and his jaw and completely swolen. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? PLEASE HELP!!!
-
Okay, sorry I was in a hurry before.

Yes, he is a labrador retriever.
He could have been bitten by a snake or something but I don't know - we looked around the area and didn't see anything.
He could be allergic but we don't know anything.
We can take him to the vet tomorrow morning but they are closed now.
I gave him his normal food but I threw a few milkbone treats because we were low on food.

We're bringing him in the house now and I'm gonna watch him all night.
The swelling is on the sides of his mouth and it's pretty big. He seems irritated when I mess with it but he doesn't try to bite or anything. He seems very very calm and has gagged a few times. He's drinking and panting though. The swelling is only on both sides of his mouth right now but more on the right side. It's pretty hard swelling - not soft and flimsy.
-
we don't see any bite marks but he is missing some hair on his front left leg that look something like bite marks but no blood. He has been scratching quite a bit though which prolly coulda caused that part
-
He lives outside all the time. During the day he's out tied in the yard and at night he's in his pen.
There are something like bite marks on his leg, not his mouth.
We are taking him first thing in the morning right when it opens, if I can help it. Chewie's inside now.

Like I said, he's kinda gagging (like trying to throw up but nothing coming out) and huffing a little like when a dog has heartworms. He seems to be in a little pain but he just seems more irritated than "aaaack I'm in pain!!!"

So it's rougher if there's a bite? That would be my bet... I'm just praying that it wasn't that poisonous water snake cause he is right next to our pond and we have some of those around the place. He also likes to try and catch wasps/bees in his mouth
-
It seems about the same. I hope he's not having trouble breathing... Geez, I wonder if we can even wait until morning

Oh, and is there anything I can do to draw the swelling down???

Remember, all of that was what was said on the other forum when others asked questions. That's the info so far...
Please help me!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it was my dog we would have left to go to the emergency vet 2 hours ago. If he is huffing and gagging his throat may be swelling. Sounds like a snake bite to me. It would really be unfortunate if his airway closed completely. We can't tell you what is wrong with your dog. You need to just take it to the vet. Sooner is better than later.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I hope and pray you went to an E Vet, there is honestly NOTHING else we can tell you that will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.