Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is me again lol..

So thursday night I think I felt a pup for the first time. I do not know if it was because she was panting and moving or if it was a pup. I do remember the last time I had a pregnant dog I could feel the pups very clearly. They felt like golf balls. Do they always feel obvious or would you feel it for a second then it will go? You see I am asking because I can hardly feel anything in Coco. Could she maybe having not that many?

Today I was with her and just checking to see if she has any milk..She does! She has apparently had milk for two days now.

She was asleep today and was shaking! I read that was a sign of labour in some places. She is also panting a lot. And she keeps looking at her rear end. She is also moving around a lot. And I seen her digging her bed today. When she was outside she went down to the shed and Marley followed her. She then started digging in there. I called them back up and only Marley came. She seems to want to be alone.

She keeps following me everywhere too.

The only thing I am worried about is not feeling any puppies..

She is still eating her food. Do dogs Always go off food when they are going into labour?

We have an X Ray booked but I wonder did we schedule it to late!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
You said in your other thread that "The vet has been with [you] every week since she was bred." If that's true, it should be no problem for you to ask him about this stuff or even get him to come and have a look.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet is on call and waiting if we need him..

I just went down to her again and definitely felt a pup! That is a relief.

I have been reading about labour and whelping since she was first bred. I just wanted to ask do they always go off their food? Can you always feel the pups inside?

Yes my parents are pretty much in charge of the dogs but I am preparing for this..I have the box ready, a weighing scales, Different coloured string to identify them. Although I could only find four colours XD I was gonna get more tomorrow as I was not expecting this. I do have some other stuff I could use though. Scissors, Dental floss just in case she does not cut the cord, And a notepad to record everything. Towels..I am prepared if fluid is still in a pups mouth and nose..Anything else I may need?

She was licking me like crazy when I went down. Then she started licking her paw =/ Then she licked her vulva a lot, She then lay down while I scratched her belly and when she stood up there was a wet patch on the blanket that she started licking =/ Would it have been the water sac? She seems to calm and relaxed to be starting right now! I mean she is panting a bit but she is also running up the garden. And she did pee a few times while I she was out..I will stay with her tonight anyways..

Oh and of course her temperature! We are going to take it in the next few minutes. Will let you know.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Make sure the cat that likes to bother her is locked away someplace, too. Be prepared for an all-nighter... keep us updated as it happens. And yes, take pictures!

(You can wind a couple colors of string together if you need more colors... you can have red, blue, and red/blue, for example.)

The temperature should be a good indicator if she's close to giving birth.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Some girls go off their food, some don't. Watch for the temp drop, that will tell true every time. Get ALL other animals away from her or she'll try to hold the pups in and make sure you have all your supplies handy. Best of luck and keep us posted (oh, and you're required to post pics of the pups BTW).

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything is away from her now..She would not come out of the shed at all! Even when John(Stepfather) went out to put out clothes she did not move. Marley came running up to him. He even went down to the shed and called her out but still she sat there! That is definitely not like her...But she is out now and on her own and I guess I am staying on the couch tonight XD Although she is still quite calm. She just wants to be on her own.

Good idea to mix the string colours I am doing it now =D

And there is no doubt I will have pictures! My favourite thing to do is take pictures :p I am looking forward to seeing what colours come out of her. We were just looking at Marleys Papers today and his great grandsire was black and a few in his lines were brown too.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
It may be that's what swhe's used to, but inside the house really is best, just be sure the area is kept quiet.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I'm not sure about that, but my guess is that she's having them tonight. My cat had kittens in the middle of the day. Do you have anyone there that can sit with you tonight? It's going to be a long one. And do you have a car ready in case you have to take her in, in case of an emergency?

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My stepfather might be staying up too. I will be fine though. I have the TV, Laptop and my coke to stay awake XD The car is ready and the vet is literally a 30 second drive around the corner.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts