Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a lab/rott mix puppy who is 5 months old. He currently weighs about 42lbs and is still VERY much growing. He's had his first round of heartworm/tick medication but i need to buy his next 6 months supply (as you know its cheaper in bulk). However, the weight range you have to select for a 6 month supply is 20-50lb or 50-100lb, i'm assuming he will be over 50lbs in about 3 months so my question is would feeding him the tablet for 50-100lb dogs now be bad or shall i just spend more and buy the tablets individually until he fits into the next weight bracket?

Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would recommend waiting until he is full grown to buy a 6 pack (bringing him in to weigh him each month when you need to purchase product).

Either way, ask you vet what their opinion is.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
To buy Heartworm meds in the USA, you need to get a prescription from a Vet. You can ask the Vet about the weight issue. However, I believe that your pup will be ~50 lbs in about 1 month.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I did this with my pup. I took her in and weighed her and purchased her heartworm meds from my vet on a monthly basis. Her vet had already made arrangements with me to do so. Of course my vet is very close by my house.

·
Registered
583 Posts
At 42# and growing your dog will need the 50-100 dose and will prolly be on that for a long time. I asked my Vet this same question about one of my hounds years ago when starting to get close to the next weight range of HW prevention meds , and , Vet said go to next weight range now. I did and never had any problems. At that time I was using generic HeartGuard.

oldhounddog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts