Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue. I have a lab/pitbull mix and she's fine around people she knows, but if someone she doesn't know comes by and looks at her and she makes eye contact she barks like crazy. I don't think she would ever bite anyone but she has a very scary bark and she doesn't listen to me when she gets in that state.
Also when driving through a toll on the highway, when we stop to pay she won't bark at the person...she waits until we're driving away. It's so annoying. I can count on her doing it every time so I try to warn the toll booth worker that she's going to do it.
A guy working on our house said he's had labs that acted just like her.
Does anyone have any ideas of what we could do to get her to stop? I don't want people to be afraid of her, or for her to feel scared either if that's why she's doing it. Any advise?

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Direct eye contact is a challenge and a threat. Most dogs I've had would look away the moment my eyes met theirs. Esther does not and I discourage people from staring into her eyes.

Come to think of it, Molly stares back as well and her yellow eyes are disturbing enough that hardly anyone stares into them.

Sorry, I don't have a solution for you but just the reassurance that your dog is probably not psychotic.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Very normal and it's viewed as a threat. With obedience training, they learn that eye contact is a very good thing as eye contact is required for attention....eye contact is rewarded and praised.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I got growled at for staring at a dog whom I was unfamiliar with. Taught me to never do that again, unless we knew each other, and I knew they wouldn't feel threatened. XD

Only thing I stare directly into the eyes is my cat, and when I do, he knows it's play-hunting time with me, his momma. =3 We wrestle then. XD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so glad it's not just my dog being crazy :)
I'm going to try to warn people to not look in her eyes, hopefully that calms her somewhat. But I would definitely like to get her training. Thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes it's seen as a challenge by alot of dogs and is quite impolite. Now you can teach them to make eye contact which is great for training and focus. My dog, if another dog stares at her, gets rather defensive. I get her focus back on me fast, but infortunately alot of people don't realize what their dog is doing.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My dog does that with strangers as well, but has no problems when it's from someone he knows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts