Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi my name is Mandy and I am here looking for advice......I have a 17 week old female Lab named Allie. She is utd on her shots, but my husband and I gave them to her ourselves from the feed store. I did not see anything wrong with that until this past Tues. she started throwing up, had diarrhea and would not eat anything, but drank plenty of water. I took her to a clinic named Maverick Veterinarian, there they told me she had a bacterial infection but not sure what kind. I suppose the reason for them not doing a parvo test was because I told them she was drinking water. From there they gave me some antibiotics. Also gave her a shot of penicillian and put saline under her skin. The next afternoon she was playing and drinking, eating and have a wonderful time. The following morning she woke up and would not drink anything. Instead of taking her back to the same vet I took her to another vet, within 10 minutes of being there we found out that she has Parvo. This was on Thurs. morning, she has been there since. Today I went there to check on her and see her, she was lying in her kennel with IV's stuck in her legs getting the treatment she needs. She was happy to see me her tail popped up twice as in trying to wag it but other then that she was very weak and puny. There is blood in her poop and very runny still. She did vomit today about 2:00pm but at 7:00pm the tech said she has not done it since. We are all ready for her to come home, we miss her dearly. From other's experience's how long does it take for a puppy to recover? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank You, Mandy

She is also running a fever as high as 105.0 and has lost 2 and a half pounds in 4 days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vet will tell you what to do, time to recover etc... Please ask vet about what food is best and for how many days.Follow instructions!Viral infections are hard to the body and the inmune system.No junk food,sweets,ice cream etc,please...And if you can, next time bring her to vet for vaccines.Sometimes what you buy out there can be old and not valid anymore.What you save in the first place,you multiply trying to save her.But you can try to see if shelters or humane society can vaccinate her. It will always be less than in the vet. Take care! Good luck!!We will pray for you all.Let us know how is everything going!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm really sad to see this, what's going on? This is the fourth case I've come across within the last 7 days. Don't tell me there's another epidemic doing the rounds. All cases so far have been intestinal.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
In the meanwhile read the sticky about parvo clean up.

Please keep us posted. You are not alone as there have been several cases on the forum lately. I wish the best for your dog. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank yall very much! I am waiting to hear how she is doing this morning, I should be getting a call any minute from the vet. As soon as I do I will post the updates. Also I have learned a very hard lesson as for you get what you pay for and I can promise this baby will have nothing again otc, she will be getting her shots from this vet including rabies, also he will be the one to spay her. For now I have to start my clean-up process, bought 4 jugs of bleach and ready to disinfect the yard and house! Thank you again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spoke with the vet tech and she advised me that Allie was wagging her tail ready to go outside, also she was walking on her own wagging her tail again while she was out using the bathroom. There was no vomit in her kennel and the best of the best things are her temp went from 104.4 this morning to 100.7 !!!!!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
That's great news! I hope the improvement continues. There have been too many sad parvo stories lately, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome for Allie.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well unfortunately there is NO guarntee(sp) from getting the shots at the vets either so please don't think that just because you didn't get the shots at the vet it allowed her to get Parvo because they can get Parvo even with every shot from day one from the vet. I can tell you from experience not with my dogs but a close Bloodhound breeder friend of mine,she spares no expensive with her dogs. The females get tested fully for everything BEFORE a breeding,get an ultrasound,the best food,heated and cooled living spaces, an on call vet that comes out during the birth and are never a day late on a vaccine in fact she pays up front at her vet for each pups shots for the 1st year for the new owners. And she has had 2 pups in the last 3yrs get Parvo,1 was still at her place and the other had already went to its new family.
Sometimes feed stores do not properly care for the vaccines while in the store like letting them get warm AND bringing them home in a warm enviroment will also destroy them. Most pet stores don't tell you that they MUST be cool at all times unless your using them.

I hope your pup is soon home where it can be loved and spoiled and as others have said make sure you clean everything properly and not miss a spot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the meanwhile read the sticky about parvo clean up.

Can you show me to the link? sorry, I'm new to this.
I'm fostering an 8 week old lab/golden mix (cute lil thing) but he has bloody diarrhea and vomitting so took him to vet this morning and they think he has parvo (test hasn't come back yet). They are hopeful though because he's full of energy. But he's hooked up to an IV and getting treatment. Say puppy prayers for him - he needs to go to his furever home soon!!
I have two of my own dogs - they are both UTD on the vaccines but I want to know what I need to do to get my house and yard sanitized. I mean I know how to sanitize the house but as far as my yard???? You can't really poop scoop liquid.... kwim?? LOL
Thanks so much for any advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts