Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black lab Chewie has cost us $$$ in destruction. He jumps on people, pulls on the leash, destroys anything within his reach, barks when he's in the crate and sees me sit down, runs away when he's loose outside to visit the neighbors' labs and he's very, er, annoying towards my other dog, a collie/chow mix. Even though she snaps at him, chasing him and attacking him, he thinks it's great and chases after her to continue the fun "game". He is neutered and almost 2 years old. Can't afford training classes. Help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What have you done with training so far?.....what kind of exercise is he getting......how is he getting loose outside?
Hm, well, so far I've been working on "Sit" and, well, not to jump up on people. Also working on "Heel". I try to take him for walks everyday but sometimes I'm unable to. He lives in a large dog run/kennel outside in the yard. Only comes inside during bad weather or when it's really cold. We had to put on around 200 clip-things down at the bottom of the kennel because he'd somehow push through the wire and run away, tipping over the trash cans, etc. He hasn't escaped in a while, but it would be nice to throw the tennis ball or something for him to retrieve once in a while without him taking it to the pond and hiding it or running away.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Hm, well, so far I've been working on "Sit" and, well, not to jump up on people. Also working on "Heel". I try to take him for walks everyday but sometimes I'm unable to. He lives in a large dog run/kennel outside in the yard. Only comes inside during bad weather or when it's really cold. We had to put on around 200 clip-things down at the bottom of the kennel because he'd somehow push through the wire and run away, tipping over the trash cans, etc. He hasn't escaped in a while, but it would be nice to throw the tennis ball or something for him to retrieve once in a while without him taking it to the pond and hiding it or running away.
Well you seem to have a lot of work ahead of you...but it can be done......you pup sounds very bored....one walk at day (and some times none) is not enough for a young lab.

what method are you using to train sit and heel?.....I would not have your pup off leash till he is 100% on recall...which might be down the road a little :D

have you read thought all the stickys at the top of the training forum?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
This dog needs stimulation and consistency. Set aside time to work with him. Read the stickies at the top of the page especially loose leash walking and NILIF. They are your friends. Practice meeting people over and over again so that they will not greet him until he is sitting politely. Invest in a kong. I'm with pugmom, 0-1 walk won't cut it for a bored lab.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Try soem training videos from the library. I have used some by David Dikeman and gotten good results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll read the stickies =] And we have a kong. I usually fill it for him when I don't have the chance to walk him - just so it'll give him something to do/treat or something. Thanks for the replied! =]

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I just don't understand why people get a dog if they don't have time to train and exercise it properly. Labs need a good hour or more of physical and mental exercise each day. And, I'm sorry, but if you chose this breed you must provide what it needs even if this means getting up an hour earlier, foregoing them gym (or whatever) after work or school, etc. You can do this but if you choose not to it would be better for the dog to return it to the breeder if you got it from a responsible breeder or to re-home it if you didn't.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Sounds like he's got way too much pent-up energy, and that he's bored. The solution to this is simple: he needs more outlets for his physical and mental energy.

He needs to walk a lot more. A LOT more. He should be going on 2-3 45-minute walks a day, or an equivalent to that in jogging. As for mental energy, you can help him let this off through training sessions. Read the NILIF and Doggy Zen stickies in this forum and put them into effect immediately. These are the things I would start NOW. Walk more, train more. You have a very biddable breed with tremendous potential to be well-behaved, if in the right hands.

Don't let him off a leash until you are 99% sure he's going to come back when you call...which doesn't really sound like the case right now. Keep him on a leash whenever you're in an unfenced area. If you want to let him roam around a bit more or practise training at a distance, you can get a long leash or a retractable one.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You need to train yourself first to be a responsible owner. That means spending time with your dog, walking it, playing with him and training him. He has no idea right now what is right and what is wrong. Everything you need to get started is in the stickies. Once you implement some of these changes, you will see dramatic improvement with your dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It takes about 30-35 minutes to walk around our entire neighborhood. I usually try to take him into our "pool area" (fenced with grass) to play fetch, let him swim, etc. And whenever I'm with him, I always put in some sort of training. I'm very concerned about domination because Kiara is being very bad about that lately, thinking she's the one in charge. My uncle has a crazy boxer (supposedly wilder than Chewie xD) and he's taken her to training classes. The dog is amazing with obedience but my uncle taught be a technique to use when showing the dog who's boss. That is: get the dog down on it's side and hold him there until he stops trying to jump up. Is this right?
Oh, and we found him as a stray so no, he didn't come from a breeder. I think he may have before we found him though because he's a great dog. If I were old enough to drive, I'd spoil him to death by taking him shopping, dog parks, training classes, etc. but I still have a few years to go. My parents aren't as excited about dogs as I am. They want me to train him myself, and although I would like that very much and I have allot of time, I'm just worried I'll do something wrong or may not be able to handle it. I probably can handle it (he's the kind of dog I've always wanted to handle xD) but I my other dogs have always been very difficult to train. And they're the only other ones I HAVE trained. So.. yup, lol

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
DustyV:

Investigate the 4H in your area(county). I'm sure they will have at least one dog project. It is part of the county Agricultural Service so that is where to start. You can find the number in the phone book or do a web search.

The cost is minimal and it's a great way to get into dog training. Often, you'll have participation from local dog trainers so it is almost the same as taking classes at their facility.

.... my uncle taught be a technique to use when showing the dog who's boss. That is: get the dog down on it's side and hold him there until he stops trying to jump up. Is this right?
No it is not right. This is called an "alpha roll" and it is not advisable. It is very 'old school' but we have learned a lot more about dog behavior since the 'bad old days' so we don't do this anymore.

They want me to train him myself, and although I would like that very much and I have allot of time, I'm just worried I'll do something wrong or may not be able to handle it. I probably can handle it (he's the kind of dog I've always wanted to handle xD) but I my other dogs have always been very difficult to train. And they're the only other ones I HAVE trained. So.. yup, lol
Training dogs is not a piece of cake:( But a lot of young people like yourself have become excellent dog handlers:) I notice that often they seem to have a natural rapport with dogs. But they still need adult leadership - that is why I suggested 4H.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
It takes about 30-35 minutes to walk around our entire neighborhood. I usually try to take him into our "pool area" (fenced with grass) to play fetch, let him swim, etc. And whenever I'm with him, I always put in some sort of training. I'm very concerned about domination because Kiara is being very bad about that lately, thinking she's the one in charge.
"Domination" and all the implications it has is a very loaded word... but I think I know what you mean, and if you are worried about this I would suggest implementing NILIF as quickly as possible.
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
NILIF is a great way to introduce structure and respect into your relationship with your dog without being confrontational.

My uncle has a crazy boxer (supposedly wilder than Chewie xD) and he's taken her to training classes. The dog is amazing with obedience but my uncle taught be a technique to use when showing the dog who's boss. That is: get the dog down on it's side and hold him there until he stops trying to jump up. Is this right?
No, it's not right. This is a very old-fashioned method of training that has since been disproved. It doesn't teach the dog anything. Even the people who originally came up with the alpha roll theory have since denounced it as being ineffective among domestic dogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts