Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Our two year old Lab has been acting odd lately. Last month, we took him up north to visit our family for a week. Diesel has always seemed to enjoy himself there as he is able to hunt and run around the property but this time, when he came back, he seemed very down and not himself. The week after was the Fourth of July and he became very skiddish with all the fireworks going on. He is okay with gunshots but something about the sound of the fireworks really sets him off. Since Michigan and the Fourth of July, he’s been spending a lot of time in his kennel despite us trying to get him out. He licked a large patch of fur off of his left hind leg and started on his right. Last Thursday, he stopped eating. Per the vet, we were advised to put him on a chicken and rice diet and give him Amoxycillin and Pepcid AC since all tests came back negative. Since then, he has thrown up everything he’s eaten (along with the fur he licked off and large amounts of grass) and now has become very skeptical about eating at all. He used to scarf down his food. After bringing him back for X-Rays (which came back negative as well) and a nausea shot, he has very little appetite but the little bit that he has eaten, he has kept down so far. I am confused as to whether or not his preferred kennel time, the fur licking and the vomiting/not eating are related. He used to be extremely active. He could play outside for hours but a lot has changed. The vet checked for Heartworm, Lyme and any other major liver/intestinal issues and everything was fine. We’re hoping for any advice! Thank you in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,834 Posts
Did the vet check for Lepto (Leptospirosis)? Symptoms would fit. I mean, she probably checked for that, but just throwing ideas out.

Did you discuss the possibility of allergies with your vet? Have you tried a different food? Some parasites, like giardia can be really persistent and keep coming back after treatment, or even show a false negative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
When your vet ran the Lyme test did they check for other tick born disease (Anaplasmosis etc.)?

The sudden change is the key to all this (the trick is finding the right lock!). If nothing else has changed (no new food, no change in water sources etc.) it could all be stress related.. or stress response to an internal issue. I think it would show up in blood work, but could he have gotten into poison or Blue-Green algae in a lake?

For a Lab not to eat suddenly and for a long time tells me something more sinister is afoot and your vet is missing it. Are you close to any Veterinary Colleges you could take him to and get a work up there? It could be something weird or off that is uncommon to dogs. Most internal parasites the dogs keep eating.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top