Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 year old lab acts like he has a bad cold. Its been about 3-4 months, getting worse since it started. His cough is like when you have flem in the back of your throat, and you try to cough it up. His bark has turned into that of a seal. He was stopping halfway during our half mile walk about 3 months ago. Them stopping twice. last week, he only went 4 houses down, and plopped down panting. His xrays are clear. his blood shows no infection. He has a thyroid problem for 3 years, but its tested every 6 months and is regulated. Without doing the actual test, my vet has decided its Laryneal Paralysis. I agree. There is no cure but surgery. basically without it, they slowly are suffocating to death. I ahve researched the disease, and I am now ready to do surgery, it seems to work if done by an "experienced" surgeon. My question is, "How do I find the best or most experienced vet in my area." And how can I find out the costs. Googling is not getting me anywhere. I live in Boca Raton, Florida, but will travel in the area if thats what it takes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure about your area. Here near phila. We would prob. Go to the university of penn for something that specialized. Are there any universities for veterinary medicine in your area? If so i would start by calling there....best of luck to you both!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts