Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3-year old lab hasn't been chewing on his toys for the last couple days, and I decided to take a look into his mouth to see why. On closer inspection, I noticed one of the two very front teeth (the tiny ones) on the top appears to be missing the tip. Also, the remaining part of the tooth is very loose, and the gum at the base is red. When I wiggle the tooth, he pulls away in pain.

He isn't experiencing any other symptoms as a result. He still has his appetite, can eat fine and the only thing is he isn't really chewing on his toys, I assume because of the pain. He still eats bones, but uses his molars instead of the front teeth.

I can't really imagine what happened to cause this. I do play tug with him occasionally, but I haven't in the last week. He doesn't eat rocks or anything like that, so maybe just 'something' happened.

My question is, does this sound like something I should take him to the vet for? Should I attempt to pull the tooth out or just leave it? Is there a chance it might tighten up? It is very loose and doesn't seem to be rooted, so I assume it's a goner. Is this normal for younger labs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If my dog was changing his behavior (not chewing on toys) and reacted in pain when I tried to figure out what was wrong I would have had him to the vet in a hot minute. It's a silly question, if you ask me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Odin broke a few teeth by that age. The vet just shrugged it off and said not to worry. I would be concerned if it was causing pain though. Have him seen by the vet. It is better safe then sorry. Please don't pull the tooth.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You need to see a vet. It's too easy for an abcess to form. It also is obviously painful with movement.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If this were your mouth would you seek medical attention?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to provide an update, I called my vet a few weeks ago. They said something along the lines of this being common and it usually resolves on it's own, but if he cant eat or has any symptoms to bring him in. I waited a few more days and it was getting better. After about a week, miraculously, the remaining piece of the tooth has 'tightened' up. He isn't in pain anymore and is chewing on toys and eating normally. The gum looks completely normal as well. There is an exposed part of the tooth where it is brown, but he doesn't seem bothered by it at all no matter how much I poke and prod.

Amazingly the tooth went from being so loose I could almost spin it around, to being firmly set in his gum with absolutely no movement at all. I have a check-up coming soon so I will have them look at it then, but i'm glad to say he recovered very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts