Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Met our first Kooikerhondje yesterday. I didn't get it at first because the owner called it a "Kooiker Dog" - rather than "Kooikerhondge". "Dog" is actually the English translation of the Dutch "hondje" - the owners were from Holland - but it threw me off.

It looked just like this one on Dogs 101 - also very mild mannered and getting along well with other dogs.

Traditionally, this is a tolling dog similar to the Toller (NSDTR) but somewhat smaller. However, this particular one wasn't tolling at the time, it was tracking.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Oh my gosh, you're so lucky!! I love this breed; they're beautiful dogs with awesome temperaments. I call them "Kooiker Dogs" too because I can't spell the full word, so I think that's fine on the owner's part. What was the dog's name? Where did you see them?

I haven't heard of any of them being outside their native Netherlands. My friend sent me pics of them that she saw in a Dutch dog show, both of you are soo lucky. If I didn't have allergies, I would seriously want this dog.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I met one once too! It was doing a flyball competition in Denver. I hadn't heard of them before that. They seem like great dogs.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Lucky you :) You don't see them much outside of my country.

'Hondge'? I take it that's a spelling mistake :p Dog is actually just 'hond'. ;) Hondje means little dog. The name Kooikerhondje is derived from 'kooiker's hondje', meaning: the kooiker's little dog. You know, the kooiker is the person who hunts ducks, using the dog to lure them into a cage, the 'kooi'. (fun fact: the English word 'decoy' actually comes from the Dutch words 'de kooi', when English people witnessed Kooikerhondjes do their work in 'de kooi', as a... decoy :p Or so I've been told)

I like Kooikerhondjes too, but don't think they're a breed for me. It's wonderful the dog you met went along great with other dogs! Over here, they are getting a reputation of being insecure and nippy towards other dogs. (though this should not be typical of the breed) So it's important that if you want a Kooikerhondje, you make sure you get the dog from a good breeder who breeds dogs with sound temperaments.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lucky you :) You don't see them much outside of my country.

'Hondge'? I take it that's a spelling mistake :p
Yes that was a typo - i fixed it in the OP. Kooikerhondje is the official AKC name for the breed.

Dog is actually just 'hond'. ;) Hondje means little dog. The name Kooikerhondje is derived from 'kooiker's hondje', meaning: the kooiker's little dog. You know, the kooiker is the person who hunts ducks, using the dog to lure them into a cage, the 'kooi'. (fun fact: the English word 'decoy' actually comes from the Dutch words 'de kooi', when English people witnessed Kooikerhondjes do their work in 'de kooi', as a... decoy :p Or so I've been told)
Thanks for the info - I'm sure I'll sound very knowledgeable when I meet them again:wink:

I also found out that this may have been one of the foundation breeds that went into the Toller (NSDTR)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts