Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rockon:What are you all stuffing your Kong with? I have a little one that Arlo likes. He won't work for his kibble, but I liked to give him something that takes him a while when I leave the house. I was giving him rawhides, but didn't realize they aren't the best idea. So I nixed those.
I was stuffing it with peanut butter, and freezing it but I noticed his poop was super mushy. Not sure if it was the PB, but wanted some other ideas.

If I do cottage cheese, or yogurt, is that OK every day? What about pumpkin? Should that be limited to a certain amount a week?
I'm not really crazy about spending money on those kong stuffings (which cost too much IMO).

TIA!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I noticed the same thing with PB. We do plain nonfat yogurt and unsweetened applesauce most days. (With treats and kibble interspersed). Sometimes a dab of PB. Works for us!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The kong doesn't have to be full to take time to clean out. Max gets about a tablespoon of PB at a time, his kong holds a couple ounces of stuff.

My favorite is to force something like a flat piece of dried lamb lung in there. It is really hard to get out that way. I did this first with a somewhat too large biscuit as I was irritated with Sassy. Some revenge, she had a complete blast working on it for 40 minutes! Later she learned she could break the biscuit by chomping the kong and it only took her 5 minutes to find the right spot.

He also gets it stuffed with raw hamburger and topped with a chicken foot. Very gross but he likes it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I stuff it 3/4 full with a mixture of banana and peanut butter, then stick a bully stick as far down it as I can until it is fixed in place, snip off the end of the bully until about an inch sticks out, freeze and that's it! Makes for a yummy, fun toy & chewing experience.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I use peanut butter but not that often; I had a dog who got a bad case of diarrhea from too much pb. I also use yogurt and a thick batch of The Honest Kitchen. Whatever I use is then frozen.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I get creative lol the odd time I need to leave Gem at home with my mom, I will prepare a frozen kong ahead of time that she can give her when she is getting to be too much..I will search the fridge and cupbards and do layers..some kibble on the bottom to plug the hole, add some apple sauce...a spoonful of Electra wet food, some PB, some Honey, some more kibble, capped off with PB then stick it in the freezer << thats just one I have done, I just make it up as I go, but always cap it with PB, then pop it in the freezer! I actually find it fun to search through what I have got and try to come up with the most interesting ways to stuff it :p

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Any kind of jerky treat is good, because licking will moisten it, causing it to expand inside the toy and become harder to extract. Check out Busy Buddy's squirrel dude for something similar to a kong, but much harder. It has rubber prongs in the opening which will help hold the food inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts