Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, Kongs are gifts from the doggy gods. But I'm worried about Kratos eating peanut butter so often through the week.

I was thinking about trying cream cheese mixed with chicken, or maybe making a healthier type of paste. I've also soaked kibble in chicken broth but I worry about the sodium intake.

He likes to go to bed with a frozen kong every night so I don't use too much of anything, just enough to cover the top to seal in his kibble.

Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
You can make your own chicken broth without any added sodium (and if you use non-enhanced chicken, there is even less sodium). Just save some scraps of raw chicken and bones when you happen to be cooking chicken for yourself, boil in plain water and strain.

Plain greek yogurt would be better than cream cheese IMO.

Canned pate style dog food is easy and is a balanced diet so you can fill the whole kong with it if you wanted. I like Merricks 96% for its high meat content and the texture is easy to stuff the kong with.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My lot get kongs every now and then instead of their normal meals :)
These are some of their favourites (all frozen to last longer!)

Sweet potato mashed up with cottage cheese and/or tuna
Banana & honey
Scrambled egg, sometimes with a blob of goats cheese at the end
Porridge made with goats milk
Shredded chicken (or any other meat) with peas and veggie water
Kibble soaked in diluted goats milk
Wet food (wont list brands as me being in the UK they'd be useless to you lol)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
To keep Jasper busy I feed him his dinner in a Kong every night. On Sunday I will take 7 Kongs and stuff them and freeze for the coming week. I also use Kongs to just keep him busy when I am not up for playing. lol I think I own about 20 Kongs right now. :p Then again I have my 2 dogs and my family's dogs stay over a lot as well (sisters 3, other sisters 2, and my moms 2).

Dinner Kongs always include his kibble, where the snack ones I don't always use it. Not all of his kibble will fit even into the XL so I give him a portion of it plain in a bowl before I give him his kong at night.

I put all kinds of things in Kongs. Such as:

Sweet Potato and kibble
Plain yogurt kibble
Baby food and kibble
Yogurt, Banana's, and PB
Treats & applesauce
Cottage Cheese and kibble.
Dried lung and yogurt
Scrambled egg and cottage cheese
Canned food
shredded meats
Raw meats
Mushed cooked veggies and raw veggies
Dehydrated food (The honest kitchen, etc) And if you email THK they usually send free samples of each of the flavors.
Chicken broth water mix, PB and treats
Chicken broth water mix, and kibble
Cubed cheese and kibble
Green Beans and wet food
Banana, blueberry's, yogurt
Pumpkin, banana's, and watermelon
Pumpkin and treats
Raw egg and raw hamburger (or cooked with a little yogurt)
Sweet potatoes and fruit
Sweet potatoes and treats
Apples and yogurt
Raw hamburger, rice, Sweet potatoes
Raw ground Venison, liver, and PB

For days when it is really hot outside I will also just freeze some stock (like chicken stock, but he is allergic to chicken.) in a Kong and give it to him to eat outside while I work around the house. I like to get real pumpkins in the fall to decorate and cook the seeds for me, then use the rest of the insides for the dogs kongs.

All of our dogs love it when I will take a bully stick and place it in the Kong before I freeze it. It makes it more challenging for them. :) Most of the time I will not freeze a puppies Kong because they tend to give up to easy when it takes to long to get to the reward. lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those all sound so messy - where do your dogs enjoy those tasty Kongs at?! outside? in a crate? Seems like I would have a mess on my hands?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Those all sound so messy - where do your dogs enjoy those tasty Kongs at?! outside? in a crate? Seems like I would have a mess on my hands?
I have never had a mess in my house from the Kongs. I am a little bit of an OCD neat freak so if it did leave a mess they wouldn't be getting it in my house. LOL They usually get their Kongs in the living room. Though I do not care where they eat and play with it as long as it is not in my bed. :) The only one I could see being a mess is the one that I said I only give outside, the water and broth mixed one. Oh and if I give raw meats in the Kong then they are confined to a cage with it for sanitary reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts