Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought Shema a Kong yesterday and some treats to put in it (not kong brand treats)

I'm interested in getting some kong recipes I can try with her if anyone has any! One's that aren't peanut butter related, she does not like peanut butter (she will literally turn her nose up at it and walk away from it)
Anything with pumpkin is a win! She LOVES pumpkin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been looking into this as well. I found several sites with recipes that I'll post below.

Most people suggest using the dog's kibble, along with a variety of healthy food choices. Maybe kibble, chopped carrots and a bit of yogurt one day. Then kibble, frozen peas and mashed potatoes the next. It is important to learn what dogs can and cannot eat. Unfortunately, the information on the Internet is mixed and therefore confusing. For instance, one site said to never feed a dog any bits of avocado; another site said dogs can eat the flesh but NOT the skin or the seed. Some nuts are OK in moderation but macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs.

Also, we will not only have to learn how much kibble to feed our dogs, but we'll have to learn how to adjust the amount of kibble and include other foods in proportion to make sure the dog gets plenty of nutrition without too many or too few calories. I think this part will be the most challenging for me.

Human foods dogs can and cannot eat: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/human-foods-for-dogs

Recipe pages:
https://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/dog_recipes_for_kong_chew_toys/
https://www.kongcompany.com/recipes/
https://www.kongcompany.com/recipes/page/2/
http://www.labmed.org/catalog/kong2.html
http://barkthink.com/get-stuffed-over-50-ways-to-fill-your-kong/

BTW, I think it is so odd that your dog doesn't like peanut butter. I always thought peanut butter was the ultimate doggy treat, like chocolate for women and sugar for kids. But then, dogs have personalities, likes and dislikes all their own. My last pooch turned his nose up at broccoli and generic milk bones -- loved the real Milk Bones, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the links!

Honestly I free feed the kibble, for that reason. The whole 1-2 (3?) times a day, then adjusting depending on weight gain/lose, is completely confusing to me. Plus I end up feeling like I'm starving them even though I'm probably not lol
But I do watch what I give and how much I give with the treats and anything extra I may give.

Yes she is weird! My vet even thought that was crazy. My mom said "what self respecting dog doesn't like peanut butter" lol But I tried a few times, she just wont take it XD

·
Registered
363 Posts
For my dog, I fill the bottom half of the kong with kibble and then the second half with either a peanut butter/yoghurt mixture, pumpkin/yoghurt mixture, or appelsauce/yoghurt mixture. Then I freeze it.

The reason I use just kibble in the bottom half is because Onyx cannot reach the stuff at the bottom. If it is filled with something wet/sticky she would not be able to get it out and that would just be frustrating. Also, I have heard of dogs getting their bottom jaw stuck in Kongs because they shove their muzzle in it to get to the stuff stuck towards the end. So for my own peace of mind, I prefer to stick with something that can roll out after the good stuff is eaten. Then she just plays with and bounces the kong around to get the kibble out. Sometimes I use something like blueberries and other fruit in place of the kibble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind, I wouldn't want her to get hurt or anything trying to get something yummy.

When I got home last night, I showed her a piece of the treat and showed her my putting the treat inside then gave her the kong to see how she would do. (I only stuck like 2-3 treats broke in half) Didn't take her long to figure out picking it up and dropping it was the best way to get the treats out lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
Isn't it fun to see them figuring out how things work? I always enjoy watching Onyx use a new puzzle toy for the first time. One of her favorite techniques for the Kong is to get on my bed with it and then toss it on the floor lol! if any pieces are stuck on the bottom that always works to loosen them

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely is fun watching them! Free entertainment :)

That's hilarious lol Right now she isn't allowed on the bed, at least till she is house broken enough to try and alert us, already had a few accidents on it in her excitement -_-
But would not put it pass her to do something like that off the couch lol

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have found that packing it with raw food mix and freezing it made it really challenging. Lasted much longer than plain yogurt (even Greek with is thicker). Peanut butter.. be careful. There is some "lo cal" stuff out there that has Xylitol in it which is poisonous to dogs.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I stuff my Kongs with wet dog food. I will plug the end hole with peanut butter (you can use pumpkin, too, or cream cheese, just something that's not to runny so it can be a plug), maybe put a bit of hot dog in, then fill it with the wet dog food. I plug the large hole with a smear of peanut butter, too, then set them up in a bread pan to freeze.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I know about that ingredient. But Like I said though, she doesn't like it so no worries. I won't be using it.

Any recommendations for wet food that doesn't cost to much? (my husband is a penny pusher lol but I try to get the best I can) I recently tried giving her Cesar wet food, and it gave her runny poo after being a week on it.

I'll get some plain yogurt and pick up more pumpkin too. Haven't tried cream cheese with her yet, but maybe it's time to get me some bagels and cream cheese to try it out with her :D

When you freeze them, how long do you typically freeze for? Overnight or like 1-2 hours? I was thinking I could prep it the night before and freeze it overnight to give the next day

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
When you freeze the Kong, you'll need to be flexible. In the beginning, with a puppy, I suggest that you you freeze it for only a few hours to give the Kong some crunch but not make it too hard. When Shema has her large, stronger adult teeth in a couple of months, you might freeze the Kong overnight to be more solid.

Although you free feed her now, you may want to put her on a regular schedule, if she starts to get overweight [beginning at 10 mos - 12 mos ] or if her bathroom schedule begins to be inconsistent.

You can feed all of her kibble using the Kong, if you want to, be sure not to feed her too much.

A general Kong recipe includes some Kibble, a treat, and something to wet the mixture to help with freezing. The treat can be some carrots, apple sauce, peanut butter, broccoli, steamed green beans, pieces of dog jerky or other treats, or a spoon of wet dogfood. The 'wetting' part can be a little bit of water, yoghurt, apple sauce, peanut butter, or a little unsalted [low fat] meat broth. The combination doesn't have to taste good for people, only for Shema ;-)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can be flexible with the freezing, although she does like to chew on hard frozen stuff. I get 2-3 bags of ice weekly (I'm an ice cruncher lol) and near the end of the bag there ends up being a giant piece of hard ice rock. My husband always puts it in the water bowl for her and the cats. Shema LOVES to get it back out and gnaw on it

I get the idea with schedule feeding, I just don't get the whole how much, how many times etc.. Or really getting on the body weight rather she's overweight or under. Right now to me, she looks to skinny. Can't tell in pictures, but from above and looking down her waist looks way to slim. Has looked that way to me since picking her up. But my vet said she is ideal weight. (as of Thursday last week 28lbs)
Honestly, she doesn't even eat that much kibble.She has a ceramic bowl ( I think the paper in it said it was 4 or 6 cups and sometimes i don't even fill it all the way) and empties it in about 2-3 days.

Right now she is eating Beniful because that's what my mom gave me before I got her. I am switching her to 4health puppy food when I get close to end of this food ( I know about slowly transitioning the food)

Also thank you on the tips for the Kong :)

Shema is very weird on things she doesn't like and does. I dropped a french fry the other day and she could care less, my husband dropped a slice of jalapeno and she gobbled it up before he could get it and waited patiently by him for more lol

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Shema may not like Beneful, and may gobble up 4Health. And, when she's 6 - 9 mos, she may look even skinnier, but if the Vet says that's OK, it probably is. For most dogs, especially shepherds, you don't want to see ribs and hips sticking out. For some dogs, you may see ribs when running, or outlines when breathing hard.

If she likes jalapeno, she may also like raw broccoli, raw carrots, and apples. I give my dog a full raw carrot twice a day to gnaw like a chewtoy, and I use broccoli as a training treat ... he catches a piece of broccoli better than a ball or a frisbee. ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to really have to try some of these recipes, and I need to learn what other stuff my dogs like other then peanut butter.

Shemashepherd have you found any of these Shema likes?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Yeah, I know about that ingredient. But Like I said though, she doesn't like it so no worries. I won't be using it.

Any recommendations for wet food that doesn't cost to much? (my husband is a penny pusher lol but I try to get the best I can) I recently tried giving her Cesar wet food, and it gave her runny poo after being a week on it.

I'll get some plain yogurt and pick up more pumpkin too. Haven't tried cream cheese with her yet, but maybe it's time to get me some bagels and cream cheese to try it out with her :D

When you freeze them, how long do you typically freeze for? Overnight or like 1-2 hours? I was thinking I could prep it the night before and freeze it overnight to give the next day
I actually just go to the pet store and pick up a flat of whatever is on sale. I do try to go with higher end brands, but on sale I can typically get higher end foods for $1.50 a can. That $1.50 can stuff a week worth (so 5, I work 5 days a week) of large Kongs. With 12 in a flat, it's probably around $18-$20 for about 12 weeks of Kong treats, give or take depending on schedules and crate time.

I have used Nutro, some Purina formula that I actually don't like that much because the chunks are huge and hard to stuff in a Kong, lol! I have used Costco's Nature's Domain formula, but the gravy got really runny in the last batches and it would run out of the Kong even with my peanut butter plug, so I got tired of that and stopped using it. I just kind of have fun going through the store and picking out new flavors for the dog to try to keep things interesting, but he's not TERRIBLY sensitive or picky. He hasn't had tummy trouble with any of the foods I've tried so far. I've had luck sticking with higher end foods with my dog.

You can also try Chewy.com. They have quality food for lower prices.

I usually fix up all 5 Kongs on Sunday night and stick them in a pan to freeze for the week, but I have a roomy freezer. My dog has never had too much trouble with them, no matter how frozen. He started getting frozen Kongs around 6 months old.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gotta go to get Shema a new collar today anyway (the one she has keeps loosening up on its own and keeps slipping off if I have to grab her for whatever reason) so I will see if there is any sales. Which now reminds me to check my email for coupons lol

Ugh, wish I had some luck when it comes to dog food. Just about every dog I've had has had some kind of tummy issue.

I LOVE Chewy. I could spend a fortune on there. I recently bought $50 worth of toys and treats for her JUST to get the free shipping :pound:

Our freezer is almost always empty, aside from the ice bags. Because I'm on dialysis, I have to watch what I eat and a lot of the stuff I have to avoid is frozen type food. So there is plenty of room in there.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I usually fix up all 5 Kongs on Sunday night and stick them in a pan to freeze for the week, but I have a roomy freezer. My dog has never had too much trouble with them, no matter how frozen. He started getting frozen Kongs around 6 months old.
Same here. I started my Chihuahua on frozen Kongs when she was about 3-4 months old. She was horrible while teething, chewed everything for relief, including wood furniture :p I found an ice cold frozen Kong was just about the only thing that kept her happy and calm and away from the furniture haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Meglynn I haven't yet, but I am going to soon :D I gotta get the stuff lol

I think what I'll do is start with freezing a couple hrs then increase the length of time to see how she handles it. But I'm sure she would be ok with it

@MarieLovesChis haha I am in that same boat! Shema likes to try and chew on my wooden desk XD

·
Registered
363 Posts
lol for Onyx it was this old bed frame I had, legs were made of wood. She chewed on a specific leg over and over. I would be laying in bed and start to feel the bed shake because she was chewing on it :laugh: By the time she was old enough to stop teething it looked like a beaver got to the leg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts