Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Kola is going to be crazy!

649 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Willowy 
#1 ·
I was talking to a co-worker of my moms one time about how after she got spayed she started to get aggressive towards the other animals and possessive over her toys.

The lady's response? Oh did you let her have a litter of puppies first? If they don't have a litter of puppies first their hormones don't get strong enough and they go crazy!

Now I'm anxiously awaiting somebody to officially tell me, that my dog has gone crazy because she's never had a litter of puppies.

#8 ·
Spaying could very well cause a dramatic enough change in hormone levels to create a bit of craziness. It should be temporary, though. It wouldn't have the same effect on a puppy. Comparing it to humans: menopause can be a difficult time for many women. A young woman having a hysterectomy has the effect of throwing her into full-blown menopause without any of the preliminary changes. Having had a couple of friends go through that, it doesn't appear to be a whole lot of fun--even with the hormone therapy they received. Some "nutty" behavior seems to be part of the deal. I don't know why it would be different for a dog.

#9 ·
That's the age Willow became dog-aggressive, and she was spayed at 6 months. I think they come into social maturity at that age (or something like that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.