Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know them. The kind of breeds that no matter what, you can bring in another and plug them in like K'NEX pieces and everything works as if that dog has always been there. Sled dogs fall into this category hands down. I have yet to have an issue bringing another sled dog into the equation. But then again, scuffles have never made me blink twice or shudder. It comes with the sled dog thing and never lasts more than the first 90 seconds.

Enter Cosmo. One of the families I've been walking a dog for had their 13 year old Malamute-GSD pass away a few weeks ago. After an exhaustive search they finally found a dog that fit. An eight month old straight idiot Husky named "Cosmo". Sure enough, the first time I went to walk him it felt like I still only had my three dogs on leash. Today I watched him for a while because... he's a sled head and did the Sioux/couch thing to their blinds. Hey, no problem! The only downside is: this dog (and other sleds) has made it clear that the sled dog thing gets easier with numbers. I swear to you that this dog was loose leash within half a mile of walking with my gang. Now the wife is even considering a Husky pup along with our Saint search...

So my question to all of you is:

¿What other breeds do this K'NEX®/LEGO® thing?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
He is way handsome!

¿What other breeds do this K'NEX®/LEGO® thing?
Paps do it too. They are terribly clannish dogs. We can bring paps in and out no problem, they just fit right in. Many of our friends have them and even with my dog reactive dog, she's fine with other paps. My breeder quite frequently has up to 3 different family's papillons plus hers (14-16 dogs) and we've never had a fight even with intact males and bitches together that have never met before. Of course we do have small scuffles every now and then at home (always involve one of the girls actually) but they do just go together really well.

Here's a couple of my favorite 'group shots'. Note that these are several different groups of dogs that don't actually live together.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
strangely enough...

when I dogsit,

other pits...a few dirty looks and some snarliness on occasion...but its typically a thousand times easier to introduce Miss "I eat dogs with cheese sause" to her bully cousins than to other breeds.

I think its because of the way they play...pit bull play is pretty rough and grappling kind of play...other pits seem to take it better than un pit bull dogs.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Papillons I can see doing that. That first picture is somewhat terrifying. :D

Pits I didn't think of. That's strange because my guys love bullies, should have thought of it.

Aussies I took for one of these breeds. Mainly due to the fact that the sled dogs HATE cattle dogs of any type. My ignorant mind threw all cattle dogs in one category. Very interesting...

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Pits I didn't think of. That's strange because my guys love bullies, should have thought of it.
it kinda goes like this..

if I intro her to another pit and they play..they play

if I intro her to a non pit. they start to play and the other dog will get really defensive and that will set her off.

When she plays with other pits, it sounds like all hell has broken loose and looks like it too with lots of barking and snarling and neck biting and body slamming....but they don't break skin...they are just wrestling.

I think the other dogs so far haven't understood that it is play and not an actual attack.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Boston Terriers are not like this either, I go to a bt meet up here in town and theres always at least 15 there and it never fails there's always atleast one dog that starts a fight. The funny thing about my BT is that he use to get along really well with all dogs, but since we've had him neutered he growls at most BT we come across. Although for some reason he LOVES to play with pit bulls, if a fight breaks out among the pits he breaks it up then they go back to playing. Its really funny cause he's a 16 lbs BT among a sea of 50+lbs pits.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
For once I have to say NOT collies. When we had the 3rd dog she eventually fit in, but my guys were always jealous of any time I gave her. There were no blood-letting fights. Toby did have her down and growled over her once. It was just never very comfortable.

I don't know if it's because the collies expect your full attention and having to share is not in their repertoire or if it's something else. That's also been my experience with other herders as well.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yes Rowdy

Herding dogs seem to just tollerate other dogs in their living area at best, at wost there is a fight.

Hawkeye loves most other dogs although I have started noticeing a bit of a change in his personality latly so now I'm not so sure he seems to be maturing into the aloof aussie he's suposed to be. Kechara dislikes all new dogs, and Jack I think is too far gone in the head to really care about anything any more lol.

Although Hawkeye and my friend's Aussie, Jet, really don't like each other and they will growl when ever the other guy comes near.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Beagles. MAJOR pack dogs. I have 3 currently, and they fit together like glue. We go to the DP, and they seek out other beagles and stick together.

It must be part of the hound nature, and it makes sense since many hunters have packs of beagles they hunt with. There is a CAH-RAZY beagle video somewhere, I'll have to find it...

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Aussies I took for one of these breeds. Mainly due to the fact that the sled dogs HATE cattle dogs of any type. My ignorant mind threw all cattle dogs in one category. Very interesting...
funny you should say that cuz every one of my BC's and MANY others i have known really dislike Husky breeds of any sort....BC's tend to be quite clannish and generally "snub" anything not BC (or of the herding breeds, and it goes in levels of them) but until Titch i have never had any real issues w/ dogs coming around....they just get ignored....other than the sled dogs.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts