Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hubby fell off a chair on Tuesday. His knee is damaged, but not broken. After dragging himself up two flights of stairs he agreed to call 911 and get taken to the hospital (I wasn't up to attempting to drag him to the van... MEN!).

Anyway xrays showed nothing broken, but they can't figure out what the problem is until the swelling goes down. They gave him the option of a splint, and crutches, and he uses both.

Now my FIL said, and a few other things have also said, NOT to keep it still and wrapped, but to attempt to move it a bit to help it heal. That keeping it wrapped will make things worse (he's quite happy to keep it in the splint and not use it at all forever at this point because it hurts to move it).

Any thoughts? Making an appointment for him next week to get it checked...

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I fell once and ripped my knee open. I had stitches and crutches and it was wrapped. I was told to keep it wrapped and elevated; but to also apply ice to help with the swelling. I still tried to move it a little being it was not broken.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I think your hubby's knee will let him know when to move it. Everybody has their own threshold with pain. I think a cane might come in handy when he does start moseying around but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's now off while he's working and sitting still. It's still swollen and I didn't want the splint to be compressing things too much (there's some red marks that wouldn't go away after a few minutes). Booking an appointment for next week..

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Orthopedic Surgeon. It sounds extreme to go to one but they are experts on diagnosing and fixing internal knee injuries. Even if it does not require surgery an orthopedic surgeon will be able to tell what it is. My husband went to see one when his knee kept randomly giving out and hurting/swelling (without doing anything to provoke the swelling). The orthopedic surgeon gave him a diagnosis (early onset arthritis) and meniscus cysts. He had an MRI to diagnose exactly what the soft tissue injury was (the doc could tell it was soft tissue but not sure exactly what without the imaging studies). He told him a supplement to take for the arthritis, what OTC pain meds would work best, how to splint and when to splint for specific injury, exactly where the injury is on model of the knee and if/when he would/could have surgery. He was given the option to have the cysts removed (we opted not to since they could potentially heal themselves).
If you have PPO health insurance (always call to find out) - you should be able to refer yourself. A general practitioner will be able to say soft tissue/maybe a generalized area but an orthopedic surgeon can give exact diagnosis and all treatment options (a general doc would not be able to operate on a tear if there is one and it requires it as an example). We opted to just go to the ortho surgeon because he could diagnose and treat - one less doctor appt (if the general doc referred us on) and because we had PPO insurance. We just called the ortho doc's office and made an appt. Easy.
My husband went twice - once for a general exam and to get the MRI ordered - got the MRI done and the 2nd appt to see what the MRI showed, what treatment options were and if/when he may need to see the doc again. Because opted for a nonsurgical treatment he only has to go back "as needed" or as the doc put it - if it starts hurting too bad come back and see me when you need to. He gave us the information to treat it medically (he requires no prescription pain killers) at home and sent us on our way - but we had our exact answer for his pain/swelling/limping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts