Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in at a new petstore picking up some dog food the other day. I was meandering around looking at the various small animals and reptiles they had. I found some Crested Geckos (I want to get one or two for my brother for his birthday), but they were super expensive.
Anyways, when I was looking at the rodents they had some rats. But I don't think they were your normal "fancy" rat. They were called a different name (can't remember what it is now...) and they were only about three inches long (not counting the tail). All of the Fancy rats I've seen (in at Petsmart, for example) have been at least twice that size.

I didn't know if there were different "strains" of pet rats? Or do you think they were just young fancy rats?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
They were probably just babies. There are different types of rats, dumbos (with big ears that are to the side), hairless (no hair), and patchwork hairless (have patches of hair and patches of no hair and the pattern changes). Both the hairless and patchwork can also be dumbos. There are also tailless rats.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were probably just babies. There are different types of rats, dumbos (with big ears that are to the side), hairless (no hair), and patchwork hairless (have patches of hair and patches of no hair and the pattern changes). Both the hairless and patchwork can also be dumbos. There are also tailless rats.
That is what I thought, but wasn't sure. I could have sworn it said they were African something rats, but the only rat I could find that had "African" in its name was the African Giant rat. And that is most definitally not what they were.

I've seen some dumbo rats before - they are adorable. Tried to talk my mom into letting me bring home a cream and white male Dumbo rat the other day. That didn't work out so well. Knew it wouldn't, I just wanted to bug her.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Youngsters. :)

I have seven rats, all girls (including a hairless dumbo, a hairless, three rexes, and two more common fancies). They're wonderful pets.

·
Registered
688 Posts
African Soft Furred rats?

They aren't usually kept as pets but used as live feeders. (I don't agree with live feeder rats)

My 2nd rat was an African Soft Furred Rat and he was a mean little brat lol.

This is the only decent picture I could find of one on google

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh, that might be it. I don't know. They were very cheap ($1.50), but I don't think they were "feeder" rats, if you know what I mean. I'm sure they could be bought as such, but I don't think that was their intended purpose. But for a buck fifty, they might have been. I don't know.

Those Soft furred rats are cuties though! I was just intriquied that there might be a rat I could actually own that could bypass my mom's "ew" factor once Pikachu isn't around anymore.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Maybe African Pouched Rats? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_pouched_rat
I've heard they've become fairly popular as pets. Eek! It says the males can get to be 6 pounds! I love ratties, but I don't know about a 6-pound rat!

·
Registered
688 Posts
OOO I like those African Pouched Rats! It could weigh more than my moms dog lol.

African Soft Furred Rats are definitely not nice! If you get one that is you are very very lucky lol. I had one from the time he was 8 weeks old and he was mean almost every day of his life. The only time he cuddled with me was when he got really old.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I did some reading on the African Soft Furred rats. I've heard very varied things about them. The most popular thing is that they are extremely aggressive, but many other people said that was just because they are never handled and aren't being bred for docility. People who have started breeding their own strains that are focusing on friendly rats have never had a problem with them being aggressive. Guess I'd just have to be careful who I get one from (if I get one in the future).

And I think if I want a large rat, I'll stick to your basic rat. Having a rat around that is bigger than even Dameon (who weighs in at 3.6 pounds) might freak me out a little. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts