Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has only been in 2 pools in her life, and they've been in-ground, and therefore had steps to get in. My family has an above-ground pool with a deck built around it, but the only way in is a ladder and that was confusing to her :p

My little sister was trying to help her get on a float.

It sort of worked....

...but she fell off and had to swim back to the scary ladder. Then she gave up and just decided to walk around the perimeter and occasionally stick her face and paws in.

She then jumped on things.

Then jumped on higher things to sit with my sister.

Afterwards she jumped on to the railing and walked the perimeter of the deck like a balance beam.

And this is just one from her playing with Bubbles from last night. They are crazy.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Too Cute! Looks like they were having fun in that last photo. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I so want to see what my dog would do in a pool. I love that last picture, too. Playing action shots are always cool.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Very sweet! Finnish Spitz are always so gorgeous! I like it how she's on your porch out back (at least it looks like your backyard). Is this a myth, where you actually have to teach dogs how to swim?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too Cute! Looks like they were having fun in that last photo. :)
Haha yes, they have to do that a couple of times a day. Usually Pentti joins in, but he was busy chewing an antler :p

I so want to see what my dog would do in a pool. I love that last picture, too. Playing action shots are always cool.
I honestly wasn't expecting her to do much of anything - I was impressed that she put even a paw in! I think next time I will go in with her and see if she doesn't like that better. She does like swimming, but I really just think the lack of a step down was freaking her out a bit.

Very sweet! Finnish Spitz are always so gorgeous! I like it how she's on your porch out back (at least it looks like your backyard). Is this a myth, where you actually have to teach dogs how to swim?
Thanks! I am partial to the breed (obviously!) ;)

Yeah it's my parents' house. It's the agility dog in her - always jumping on things!

I never taught her. She just sort of went in a lake one day and swam after some sticks hahaha. But I think some dogs need a bit more "help" than others to let them know that the water isn't scary (be it watching another dog, using a life jacket, or going in with you). And I'm sure there are dogs that just can't/don't swim. My other two actually have NO interest in water whatsoever. She's the weird one in that sense hahaha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts